Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy before marriage?

Posted by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:35 AM
  • 41 Replies
Marriage can end up being less of a commitment than it's suppose to be now a days. Boyfriends and girlfriends can sometimes be commitment and stay together longer than a married couple. but of course that doesn't mean all marriages will fail and I'm not trying to say that. what do you think of couples having a baby or kids before they get married. heck, some people don't even believe in marriage(I know a few). I just made this post to get people talking. what do you think? (don't be rude to each other)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MsGrayciesMommy
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:51 AM
3 moms liked this
My boyfriend and I started with a ffriends with benefits type relationship over 3 years ago. Ended up getting pregnant with our dd immediately. Now three years later we're expecting our second dd in July. He wants to get married, I don't. I'm one of the few that don't 'believe' in marriage. Although I know if I did ever get married it would be to him. Things work well the way they are, we're now committed to each other, I don't want either of us to feel trapped by a marriage.. which I feel has a lot to do with the high divorce rate. And the fact that people think its okay to get married because you get pregnant. I'm perfectly okay with being committed but not married.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
YngCollegeSMom
by Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 11:53 AM
I'm pregnant and not married. It doesn't bother me. I don't want to get married for a few more years at least. I don't see the point in rushing into it. Married or not, relationship problems can still happen.
halinichols
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 12:14 PM
Both my kids were born out of wedlock and both have different fathers. I don't regret my decisions.
phreddy1
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 12:32 PM

It is so true how marriage is so easily dissolved these days! Rather than divorce being the last resort, it became an option readily avaliable at any time. No one wants to fight to save their relationships anymore and it's really sad! My husband and I have been married for 6 1/2 years. We met in High School though never actually dated while we were still in school. We were living together before we got married, obviously, having sex; when we got married, the only thing that changed was our "status" in the eyes of the government, and my last name. (Which to be honest, that was the hardest part about getting married, was deciding whether or not to take his last name) We knew that we loved each other enough to stay with each other through the good and the bad. He was joining the military, so the only way for us to stay together was to get married. (I'm not complaining, I LOVE being married to him <3)

I don't think it's bad at all for couples to have children if they aren't married. Merely because the divorce rate is so damn high, and I don't think it's anyone else's place to tell anyone how to live their life. All marriage does is make things legally binding with a piece of paper. If you've made the comitment to each other in your hearts, that's all that really matters.

SuperMom2433
by Silver Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 12:35 PM
My hubby and I have been together for 10 years and married for 8 years. I was 4.5 months along with our daughter when we got married.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CelestialSong
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 2:38 PM

I don't think it matters. I'm sure some old-fasionalists (that's probably not a real word, haha) have a problem with unmarried people having children, but for the most part I don't think anyone cares anymore. That's not what's important. Being married doesn't automatically mean a stable, healthy, loving environment, and that's what kids need no matter what the status of their parents are.

LuvMyBoys09
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 2:41 PM
My bf and I are expecting our first together, before marriage and we're fine with it.
I really couldn't care less what people think about having kids out of wedlock.
When I was with my ex husband, I insisted on being married before having kids.
We got married, I had twins and wouldn't ya know it, the piece of shit still felt he had a pass to sleep with anything that would wrap her legs around him.

Marriage doesn't do anything to show how strong your relationship is....it's just a piece of paper, when it comes down to it.
My bf will put a ring on my finger someday, sooner than later, but I'm in no huge hurry....I'm content, being with someone who I'm madly in love with and who is actually willing to be by my side at all times.
Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 2:46 PM
Df and i had been friends with benefits and when we decided to end that we found out i was pregnant. Ds is almost 2 and baby sister will be here tomorrow. We plan to get married next summer but his mom thinks it needs to be sooner.

We just bought a house and i need to find a real job before we can think about getting married.
We also want our whole family there to celebrate with us and that means our 2 kids. Plus putting off our wedding also means I won't be nursing during it.
Devious103102
by Platinum Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 3:31 PM

To each their own. I had my first 2 children before I was married.  My oldest (not my husband's bio) was planned and I had NO intentions of marrying her father because, at the time, I didn't believe in marriage. 

xLilBit22
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 3:36 PM
I think it bothers some people that him & i arent married but our relationship works the way it is. We are commited to eachother, heck we are engaged. It will be 3yrs together in June and our 1st baby, our princess is due in July.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured