Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

How long were you dialated and effaced before your last birth?

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:23 PM
  • 20 Replies
Im 2 cm dialated and 75% with baby in -3 position. I know it doesn't mean I'm in active labor but just curious about an average timeline.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:25 PM

5cm dilated, 50% effaced for 5 weeks with my first baby. I went into labor at 40w2d all on my own. 

With my second, I was 2-3cm for 4 weeks and about 75% effaced. The day before she was born, I walked around at 5cm and 90% with a bulging bag of water.

brittany208
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:27 PM

It varies widely! I was 4cm and I forget who effaced for two weeks. I was trying everything to get baby to come out, but even that dilated, baby was in no hurry to go anywhere. I ended up being induced at one week overdue

brittany208
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:28 PM

did your labors go really quickly since you were already that far dilated and effaced?

Quoting Pandapanda:

5cm dilated, 50% effaced for 5 weeks with my first baby. I went into labor at 40w2d all on my own. 

With my second, I was 2-3cm for 4 weeks and about 75% effaced. The day before she was born, I walked around at 5cm and 90% with a bulging bag of water.

doulala
by Emerald Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:29 PM

I don't get checked in my pregnancies, but am very aware it can be anything!
;-)

You can have months or minutes left--    GL!

bbyblueAK
by Silver Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:31 PM

i went from 0cm dialated and 0% affaced to having him 4days later. ( but part of me thinks that me having him was due to my car being hit)

RhondaVeggie
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:33 PM
I was a fingertip dilated and soft but long for two weeks before up until two days before. When I went to the hospital I was 3cm, 2.5 hours later I was 4cm, and 90 minutes later the baby was out. You never can tell.
CheesyKitty
by Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:34 PM
This is my 2nd. Im 38 weeks. I was 1cm 2 weeks ago, no change for last week and now these numbers. So it's slowly changing!

Quoting Pandapanda:

CheesyKitty
by Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:35 PM
Better not be months!!! I'm 38 weeks.

Quoting doulala:

;-)

doulala
by Emerald Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:37 PM

;-)

lol

Hopefully not!   But women do go around opened up for a long time before laboring, and they also give birth when they just opened up within a half hour, too.

Do you want to get checked?

Quoting CheesyKitty:

Better not be months!!! I'm 38 weeks.

Quoting doulala:

;-)

Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Yes and no. I had 18 hours of labor with my son (first baby), but I also made my labor stall out for 6-7 hours because of the stress of leaving home and getting to the birthing center/hospital. It could have been fairly short. With my second baby, I only had two hours of active labor before she was born. :)

Quoting brittany208:

did your labors go really quickly since you were already that far dilated and effaced?

Quoting Pandapanda:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)