• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Serious question

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:08 AM
  • 11 Replies

I'm just curious, does anyone believe that mothers from different cultures or nationalities parent similar to their own cultures and different than others? For example (just an example not a generalization) do Caucasian people place their kids in time out while women of color are more aggressive with their children. Please be nice and open minded. My goal is not to offend and I would appreciate if we do not offend one another. 

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsBorho
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:13 AM
1 mom liked this
I think black woman are more strong willed but make strong willed children alot of white people baby there children this is just based off of the people I know I white and kind of a softy !
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Aortiz22
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:17 AM

I like the way you put it. I agree I would just like to know other people's thoughts. I'm Hispanic and I have noticed that a lot of women on here condone babying their children except they call it something else. 

Quoting MrsBorho:

I think black woman are more strong willed but make strong willed children alot of white people baby there children this is just based off of the people I know I white and kind of a softy !

MrsBorho
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:25 AM
1 mom liked this
One of my good friends are hispanic and her kids are very well behaved they are kids mind you but I think they learned early that she wasn't messing around she gives them a look and they behave! My kids are pretty good but I dont do time outs ! I tell them if they dont behave they get stuff takin away it works for my 2 girls!!
Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:32 AM

I haven't noticed a difference in specific cultures. Then again, I'm not usually exposed to many other cultures. I just have chalked the differences up to parenting styles.

NDADanceMom
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:35 AM
I find the Hispanic families spoil their kids. They put kids first by putting real gold on babies and never telling them no. It's fine other than i think its part of the reason such a large percentage of Hispanic kids are obese. The parents don't say no to the snacking.
Aortiz22
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:58 AM

As a Hispanic I wasn't raised like that nor has anyone I have ever come across raise their children that way or been raised that way. What does putting gold on a child have to do with being obese? 

Quoting NDADanceMom:

I find the Hispanic families spoil their kids. They put kids first by putting real gold on babies and never telling them no. It's fine other than i think its part of the reason such a large percentage of Hispanic kids are obese. The parents don't say no to the snacking.

NDADanceMom
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:42 AM
Oh i see.... You can talk about other cultures but don't recognize things in your own? Don't start it if you can't take it.
It was pointed out to me by a Mexican woman btw. She told me her culture puts the kids first and that culturally they do not like to say no to their kids. It's a source of pride to have well dressed kids, including expensive jewelry. It ties to the obesity because they don't like to tell their children no so they buy treats and allow them free range at them.
After she pointed it out to me i noticed it was true. The elementary kids were very pampered. I'm not passing judgement. The parents are trying very hard and make their kids feel special. It was brought up however as part of a healthy kids initiative, exploring why about 90% of the elementary school aged Hispanic kids are overweight in our district. About 40% are morbidly obese.

Quoting Aortiz22:

As a Hispanic I wasn't raised like that nor has anyone I have ever come across raise their children that way or been raised that way. What does putting gold on a child have to do with being obese? 

Quoting NDADanceMom:

Aortiz22
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:14 AM

If you read what my post says without instantly getting offended And wanting to point fingers you would see that I said I was just offering an example I'm not sure if its true nor was I offering a generalization. Im not bashing or making claims on anyone and i clearly stated that. i dont care to feed my child sweets or dress them in jewels and oppulent clothing.

I'm not Mexican our cultures are different. I can't count how many times I heard the word no growing up and I have never heard of that as a parenting style. My parents had no problem saying no to me and I have no problem saying no either. I'm fit and healthy, and so are most of the people in my family. I think all parents put their kids first that's apart of being a parent however there is a difference between putting your child first and giving them what they want just because they want it. 

Quoting NDADanceMom:

Oh i see.... You can talk about other cultures but don't recognize things in your own? Don't start it if you can't take it.
It was pointed out to me by a Mexican woman btw. She told me her culture puts the kids first and that culturally they do not like to say no to their kids. It's a source of pride to have well dressed kids, including expensive jewelry. It ties to the obesity because they don't like to tell their children no so they buy treats and allow them free range at them.
After she pointed it out to me i noticed it was true. The elementary kids were very pampered. I'm not passing judgement. The parents are trying very hard and make their kids feel special. It was brought up however as part of a healthy kids initiative, exploring why about 90% of the elementary school aged Hispanic kids are overweight in our district. About 40% are morbidly obese.

Quoting Aortiz22:

Quoting NDADanceMom:

christinarb
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:23 AM
This is not true

Quoting NDADanceMom:

Aortiz22
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:38 AM

I agree

Quoting christinarb:

This is not true

Quoting NDADanceMom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)