Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baby after major abdominal surgery?

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:17 AM
  • 7 Replies

I had my boys back to back and after my 2nd was born I needed to have an umbilical hernia repaired and they wanted to close the gap in my muscles with permanet sutures so the hernia would not occur again. They asked if we were done having children and I said we were not, but they proceeded to say I needed the surgery and it would be safe for me to have more babies. I have a scar hip to hip and belly button to pelvic area. The surgery was like a tummy tuck, but not really as my stomach is still pudgy. I didn't want a tummy tuck, so I'm not too sad about that. My question is has anyone had a surgery like mine or a tummy tuck and had a good pregnancy? My surgeon says I can, but I want honest opinions from women who have actually done it. 

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
ajohnson08099
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:51 AM
Well I kind of wonder the same.. but so far so good here.

I had a massive ovarian cyst removed jan '12 and have a scar from belly button to pubic bone like yours. (Which ugg that was a miserable recovery... my sympathy!!) It keloided (is that a word?) Really bad and the incision opened so I have what looks like a funky second belly button.

I am now 23 weeks 5 days with my first. Originally the dr said it would just cause discomfort. It was sore in tge beginning but hasn't given me much grief lately. I know it will as I continue to get bigger I can already feel it stretching. But I think other than adding to my pregnancy misery (lol) it won't cause any other problems.

Id assume that your hip to hip scar will be minimal since that's a more typical incision with c-sections and goes through less muscle.

My major advice is strengthen those abdominal muscles as much as possible before hand.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Ashely05
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Thank you! My pudge is back and so is my muffin top...lol 

my scar from my belly button to my pelvic bone is also huge and scar tissue is collecting there so I'm supposed to massage it everyday to break up the scar tissue. That's good to know no major complications occur. Good luck to you and congrats on your first baby!

ajohnson08099
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:32 PM
Lol yea I assume I'm supposed to that too but I've never felt or seen the difference.

Thank you! I just wish I could have a pretty preggy belly lol

Quoting Ashely05:

Thank you! My pudge is back and so is my muffin top...lol 

my scar from my belly button to my pelvic bone is also huge and scar tissue is collecting there so I'm supposed to massage it everyday to break up the scar tissue. That's good to know no major complications occur. Good luck to you and congrats on your first baby!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Pandapanda
by Amber on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Unless your uterus was operated on and has significant scar tissue, you should have zero problems with a pregnancy.

BeFit-Mom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Most docs don't want to do a diastasis recti repair, or umbilical hernia repair until a women has completed her familty because the sutures that were put in to close the mid line will not last through another pregnancy. So if you had a diastasis on one or both of your previous pregnancies, you will most likely get the condition again. As to umbilical hernia, you are at higher risk for that happening again too.

But the good news is that you can take steps to avoid these complications in a subsequent pregnancy by building and maintaining good core strength and stability (strength in your deepest abdominal muscle, your Transverse Abdominis) avoiding moves that strain the mid line (most traditional ab exercises), and maintaining good posture when the belly gets big, (not letting the lower back over arch).

Make sure that you always use the "log roll" technique when rising off the floor or getting out of bed. You can see a video demo of this on my diastasis recti page. Google my screen name.

BeFit-Mom

Ashely05
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Thank you! These were military Drs and were pushy. It went from just fixing the hernia with a 5-10in incision to no you need a diastasis recti repair so the hernia won't come back. I wish I would've never had te surgery! What exercises will help with strethening that muscle? Also, I'll be 2+ years post op so hopefully everything will go smooth. 

Ashely05
by on May. 30, 2013 at 2:52 PM
Anyone else?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)