Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

First baby! Were you early or late?!

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:56 AM
  • 91 Replies
I am 39w with my first and I am getting so restless anticipating his arrival! I, along with many friends and family were all convinced he'd be early-he still has a chance, I'm due April 8, but we were thinking sometime last week, even my doctor thought so! (At 37 1/2 weeks, I was 2 cm dilated and 80% which is why my doctor thought he'd come early) I have just not had much sign that he's coming any time soon either so I'm getting discouraged! And now I've been hearing more about first babies being late! But I was the first and I came almost 2 weeks early! Is there any truth to that? Was your first early or late?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ciaodarlings
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:58 AM
I was a week early with my mom so I was hoping this baby would be early too. Currently 40 + 4 with #1.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momma_gig
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:59 AM

My first was 10 days early, so I'm no help lol. I have also heard both sides (first is early, first is late). I think it's really just up to the baby lol.

brittany208
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Some babies come early, some late. just whenever they are ready.

My first was one week late before I was induced. And I had been 4cm dilated and I forget how effaced for a couple weeks.

annhart19
First was 5 days early. Second was 5 days late and induced so who knows how late he would have been. I'm 31 weeks now and wondering when she will come. Everyone says she's gonna come early
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JadeTigr7
1 mom liked this

The average for first time mothers is 41ish weeks.

My first was born at 39w4d.

Also something to keep in mind, dilation cannot tell you when you'll go into labor.  Many people can walk around 4-5cm for weeks and not go into active labor.  Some people can not be dilated or effaced at all and just a few hours later be holding their baby.

MissyMegs
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:02 AM

I was induced a week early with both of my girls. Now being this is my third. we will see if he comes early or not or if i get induced ... Its different with every woman :)... walk walk walk, have sex and drink raspberry tea...

KittyTussand
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:03 AM

My first was 10 days over due and my doc scared me into a induction.

goddiddlyumshis
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:07 AM
i was 10 days overdue with #1 and #2... im expecting to go that far again with this one. im due may 7th, and expecting to go between the 15-20th lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mychinababy
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:09 AM

My first was born at 38weeks 1 day. Second was 40 weeks 3 days and third was 41 weeks. Usually first babies go late, or so I hear.

JLCrunch
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:11 AM

I was a week late when I was induced. Don't give in unless absolutely necessary. If I knew then what I knew now I would have just waited to pop naturally.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)