• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Got a doula! piog

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:00 PM
  • 15 Replies
I am due May 29th and we decided today that none of my family will be in the room when the baby is born.

My mom has usually been in there, but because of her work schedule, she *needs* me to get induced so she can arrange to get off. She has been my support person pretty much. Especially with my son... my DH was pretty worthless in the room! Falling asleep, not able to provide counter pressure when I desperately needed it! I caved and got an epidural. I did not want one!

So, this time, nature will take its own course. No inductions. No pitocin. Just me, DH, DD1 and my doula will be in the room. I will call family a few hours after Phoenix is born. This is baby #4, so it will be nice to not have a room full of family this time!

Oh, the best part- she is only charging me $75! So excited!

Anyone else having a doula attend your birth? Have you had one before? Experiences??
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Raeann11
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I had one with my second and third. With my second our Doula could not come and had to have the back up. Only thing with that was. We were going to mee with her the next couple of weeks. To get her know what we wanted and liked. But baby decided to come 4 weeks early. So she was good but not what I really wanted.

With our third we had the same Doula that could not make it to our second. She is an amazing person and hoping for any future baby's she will be able to be present for a home birth. Like with our third.

They both showed my hubby pressure points. With my second I had an upset tummy for 3-4 hours. For the first couple of hours the presure point worked. Not after that. Only threwing up helped. Hubby was able to go and get lunch and keep himself fueled up for the day.

With my third I had hip pains. So she should him where to push and she came in the front or me. So I had someones eyes to contrate on. She talked to me about how good I was doing and held a wash cloth to my head. She let hubby eat breakfast, go the bathroom and check on the girls.

We will never go without one. They are amazing to have. My hubby is wonderful help during labor. But I have this habit of not listening to him. He can say the same thing as the midwife and Doula and I will just ignore him. Just the way I am.

summerbear
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:25 PM
I have heard noting but good things about doulas! So sorry the first time *your* doula wasn't available!

With my first and second, my husband did a great job! I just don't want to have to be left in the position with having no support if the same thing happens like with #3. My mom had to take over, but she won't be there this time!

And, I am the same way... my husband would say something and I wouldn't listen. But if my mom or OB said the same thing I would listen. I told him it was only because I was already used to "tuning him out!" Lol

Quoting Raeann11:

I had one with my second and third. With my second our Doula could not come and had to have the back up. Only thing with that was. We were going to mee with her the next couple of weeks. To get her know what we wanted and liked. But baby decided to come 4 weeks early. So she was good but not what I really wanted.

With our third we had the same Doula that could not make it to our second. She is an amazing person and hoping for any future baby's she will be able to be present for a home birth. Like with our third.

They both showed my hubby pressure points. With my second I had an upset tummy for 3-4 hours. For the first couple of hours the presure point worked. Not after that. Only threwing up helped. Hubby was able to go and get lunch and keep himself fueled up for the day.

With my third I had hip pains. So she should him where to push and she came in the front or me. So I had someones eyes to contrate on. She talked to me about how good I was doing and held a wash cloth to my head. She let hubby eat breakfast, go the bathroom and check on the girls.

We will never go without one. They are amazing to have. My hubby is wonderful help during labor. But I have this habit of not listening to him. He can say the same thing as the midwife and Doula and I will just ignore him. Just the way I am.

louzannalady
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I had a student doula. She charged $50 for gas. She was AMAZING! You will NOT regret having her attend your birth! : ) 

http://www.cafemom.com/group/117811/forums/read/17233714/My_second_sons_birth_caution_Very_rough_and_long

http://www.cafemom.com/group/117811/forums/read/17377691/Clean_slide_show_of_our_second_sons_birth She took these pictures! : )  

Pandapanda
by Amber on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Awesome! Is she a good fit for you? 

summerbear
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:58 PM
Yes! We are actually friends. She was my daughters cheer coach! We also attend church together. I am very comfortable with her!

Quoting Pandapanda:

Awesome! Is she a good fit for you? 

summerbear
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Wow! Amazing birth story! Vanessa sounded extremely wonderful!

Quoting louzannalady:

I had a student doula. She charged $50 for gas. She was AMAZING! You will NOT regret having her attend your birth! : ) 

http://www.cafemom.com/group/117811/forums/read/17233714/My_second_sons_birth_caution_Very_rough_and_long

http://www.cafemom.com/group/117811/forums/read/17377691/Clean_slide_show_of_our_second_sons_birth She took these pictures! : )  

Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Woohoo! How exciting! I really hope to have a doula next time. I really needed one last time when I had to be induced. Oh, and I'm a doula now myself so...

Devious103102
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:09 PM

That's awesome!  I'll be hiring a doula this time since I'll be doing a home birth. I'm excited =0)

summerbear
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:44 PM
Congrats!

So, I would get a completely biased opinion from you, huh?! ;)

Quoting Mrs.Andrews:

Woohoo! How exciting! I really hope to have a doula next time. I really needed one last time when I had to be induced. Oh, and I'm a doula now myself so...

summerbear
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:47 PM
Congrats on your upcoming home birth! I really wanted this one to be a home birth, but I have quick labors and the closest midwife is almost 2 and a half hours away!

When #5 (and last) is being planned, I won't get pregnant unless we have a closer midwife!! A few friends on fb are looking into becoming one, but that is still about 3 years away... or we could just move to be closer to one... I think we will move....

Quoting Devious103102:

That's awesome!  I'll be hiring a doula this time since I'll be doing a home birth. I'm excited =0)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)