Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I thought this was a no no during pregnancy....?

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:28 PM
  • 42 Replies

Hot showers and heating pads!

I know a girl on my fb who is twenty something weeks and she just posted about doing that! I tak e warm baths when I am sore (33 weeks here) and I was told by my doctor it was ok to use a therma  care thing on my back but she was saying on her belly! This girl does some other questionable things like smokes a lot of weed and cigs, works out using weights because she wants to loose weight before the baby comes and she also yells at her unborn she said when the baby had her foot in her rib cage.

I just thought hot showers and heating pads were off limits....then again maybe it is just one of those things I think would hurt the baby so I just wouldn't do it. I use a therma care thing on my back that i had ok'd by my doctor and I take warm baths but hot showers and then a hot heating pad directly on my belly that is just scary!

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Larsbug
by Laura on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:32 PM

it is a no no...if her fluid gets too hot she can "boil" baby...

jackieb2811
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:35 PM

That is what I was thinking too! She is only twenty something weeks the baby is still growing and forming! I get warm baths and I am only in those for 5 minutes and the back therma care patch if it feels to hot to me I know it is to hot for the baby but I only use it for about 15 mins or so then I give it to SO to wear lol!

Quoting Larsbug:

emilyelephant
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:38 PM

You can take hot showers but the heating pad on belly is dangerous. Hot baths are supposed to be unsafe and baths in general because they can harbor bacteria and cause infection. Hot baths or hot tubs wouldn't "boil" the baby, but it could harm developing organs because of the raise in body temperature

Larsbug
by Laura on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:39 PM

yeah that's not good... at all.

If I use a heating pad on my back during pregnancy it's like 5-10 minutes on, 20-30 off... which my doc told me is perfect

Quoting jackieb2811:

That is what I was thinking too! She is only twenty something weeks the baby is still growing and forming! I get warm baths and I am only in those for 5 minutes and the back therma care patch if it feels to hot to me I know it is to hot for the baby but I only use it for about 15 mins or so then I give it to SO to wear lol!

Quoting Larsbug:

emilyelephant
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:40 PM

*extended time in a bath

Quoting emilyelephant:

You can take hot showers but the heating pad on belly is dangerous. Hot baths are supposed to be unsafe and baths in general because they can harbor bacteria and cause infection. Hot baths or hot tubs wouldn't "boil" the baby, but it could harm developing organs because of the raise in body temperature

MommyRJ
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:42 PM
1 mom liked this
How would a heating pad on the back hurt the baby?? Jw.

And hot showers aren't a no no if your careful. If you feel dizzy etc then yes. It's too much. I take hot showers alot.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Larsbug
by Laura on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:43 PM

she's putting it on her belly

Quoting MommyRJ:

How would a heating pad on the back hurt the baby?? Jw.

And hot showers aren't a no no if your careful. If you feel dizzy etc then yes. It's too much. I take hot showers alot.

xxjadedhaloxx
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:44 PM

I was told a heating pad on low was fine.  I have a lot of pain from scar tissue from previous c-sections stretching out again.

Larsbug
by Laura on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:44 PM

this is what I mean by "boiling" baby... sorry, that's what my doc calls it lol so I just go by what she says - I forget other people's docs don't say the same thing  :0)

Quoting emilyelephant:

Raeann11
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:46 PM

I took hot showers or baths. Just had to be aware of my temp.  You could pass out. Which is not good.

You can use a heating pad just not on the hot setting and not on your belly.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured