Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

did anyone do a ... before the baby came?

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:34 AM
  • 8 Replies

did anyone do a tour of the hospital that they were going to deliverer at before the baby was born? What about the parenting/birthing classes the hospital provided?

My dr has a hospital that she deliverers at and I went online yesterday and they offer free tours and free parenting/birthing classes that I really want to go to. With my dd I had an emergency c-section and I didnt really get a chance to plan anything and I also had a lot of problems with the way the hospital did things, so I want to go to the classes and tour of the new hospital that I will have this baby at.

How far along should I be before going to the tour? what about the classes?

by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
GoddessNDaRuff
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:51 AM
I went and toured the hospital up here at 30-34 weeks. I think the classes are supposed to be taken at 24 weeks plus
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sfank
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:20 PM

I would recommend doing the classes and the tour. My tour was part of my class and both were very helpful. I did the classes at the end of my second trimester which was a bit earlier than they recommended but it was the only time that worked with our schedule.

RhondaVeggie
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:29 PM
You want to finish your class by about 37 weeks so you have a good chance of making them. With my son there was a class that finished a few days before my due date so I signed up for the session before that so that was maybe 28-34 weeks, I think it was a six week class.

With my second I just did the tour or rather two tours. I signed up for one at about 32 weeks (Saturday tours were only once a month) when the new labor department was meant to be open but it was delayed so I did another tour a couple of weeks later to see the new department.

There's really no harm in doing it on the earlier side. You can always do a second one later on if you forget stuff or just have more questions. It involves about an hour of walking usually so if you're having any mobility issues like sciatica you might want to go before you get really huge and uncomfortable. You can use a wheelchair if need be but that sucks. I fainted right at the start of my tour and they made me do it in a chair. I got pushed around while two women ready to pop out twins walked the whole thing. So embarrassing.
sugareemommee
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:33 PM
With my first.
NoraDun
by Gold Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:47 PM

I didn't because I had been to the hospital, and I didn't do the birthing classes because I knew they would be pointless. But I expect anytime between 20-30 wks is ideal. You don't want to have to tour it when your too big, and it seems the classes would be more uncomfortable if you get too big as well!

Augmama2be
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 1:35 PM

I did the birthing classes and tour with my first and would recommend it to anyone. It made me feel more confident and comfortable!

brittany208
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 1:56 PM

I did not do classes at the hospital (I did them elsewhere), but I did do a tour! I would highly recommend one. I would hate to be in labor and driving to the hospital and realize, "crap, I missed my turn" "wait, what entrance do we go in?" "Now where do we go?" Since we had already been there before, we knew exactly where to go and it was one less thing to think about.

Plus, it gives you the chance to ask 1,000 questions about their policies. What are visiting hours? Can you walk around? Squat in labor? Can you eat/drink?

I went at 34 weeks. Anytime around then would be good, I'd say.

lucyblue202
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 2:10 PM

I would wait til 25 weeks at least before doing the tour just so that it's somewhat still fresh in your mind. I am 28 weeks and have mine next week.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)