Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

What do you think of this name?

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 4:16 PM
  • 52 Replies

What are your thoughts on the name Nona (pronounced No-nah, not Non-ah) for a little girl? My grandmother's name is Nona and I don't think she'll be with us for too many more years (she got hit hard by dementia last year, the same as some of her sisters and mother). I like the idea of honoring her, but I don't know if it seems like a "weird" name? It never got higher than 266 on the social security database for the past 250 years and hasn't even been in the top 1000 since 1964. 

We aren't finding out the gender of this baby so i'm putting a lot of thought into names to add to our list. I'm not going to pick anything really final until after the baby arrives (that's the plan, anyway). Nona and Sadie are the only girl names that my husband and I both like!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Maternity tickers
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 4:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddiddlyumshis
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 4:19 PM
i think its cute.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xLilBit22
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 4:20 PM
I think the idea of honoring her is an awesome idea.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mgm_5
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 4:22 PM

i think its cute, different but not weird :)

mommy242012
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 4:23 PM

i like it, think it is pretty. And a great memory.

CelestialSong
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 4:35 PM

It's cute, not weird at all! But my opinion is probably a little biased since it's only one letter off from my daughter's name (Nova) :)

MommeeTo4
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 4:38 PM
1 mom liked this
In Italian Nona or Nonna means grandmother, so it is neat your gmas name is nona.

It is cute, when I hear nona though I think of my mil bc my children call her nonna.
Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Apr. 5, 2013 at 4:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I honestly don't like it. It would be good as a middle name though. That's what we did to honor our Grandmas. I do like Sadie though.

MommyRJ
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 4:45 PM
1 mom liked this
In think of my mom.. Her name is Rhonda and my kids call her Nona (grandma Rhonda)

But besides that.. I like it
Luvelaughlove88
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 4:48 PM
1 mom liked this
I like it. It's unique and Will mean something to you. If I have a daughter her middle name will be my grandma's name it's ila :)
ajohnson08099
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 4:50 PM
1 mom liked this
I like the idea of honoring her. We usually do it as middle names. Its not an u.usual name just uncommon. I don't see it as an "old lady" name either.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN