Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Getting an Epidural (releasing guilt)

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:07 PM
  • 56 Replies

I feel guilty as I am a vegetarian and have always been very natural with things (i.e. i don't wear poducts tested on animals, i drive a hybrid, always try and seek out the homeopathic options for things, practicing yoga)

But, I'm getting an epidural. Again, I feel guilty. But I just know that if I don't get it I'm going to end up on all fours screaming and it's going to look like something from animal planet when you see the documentaries on wild animals giving birth. And they're pacing around with their young hanging out. So to avoid the humiliation because I do really stupid things when I'm in pain. I'm getting the epidural.

Now my question, how bad does the epidural hurt? I'm a pretty big weenie when it comes to the thought of childbirth & pain.

by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Pedro
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:12 PM
It's just a needle pinch unless they do something wrong. Then there's no more pain. I had one with my first, but it took three attempts for them to get it in. They tried with my second, but couldn't get it I before he started coming. I had already gone an hour and 44 minutes in excruciating pain anyways. I wanted before not to get one, but I was mad I couldn't get one at the time. Now I'm happy I didn't. I could care less how bad I sounded or looked(which was pretty bad haha).
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
YeahItsJen
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:15 PM
I had my son 6 years ago, but from what I remember, the pain from the contractions was so bad that I really didn't notice the epi lol. All I remember is the ice cold rush in my spine then no more pain!
oliver92
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:19 PM

With my first ds our birthing plan was "all natural" too after like 12 hrs they were begging me to take something, induced contractions on top of each other, and so they gave something in the drip, well that lasted about 5 minutes.  few hrs later hysterical from pain, moved into my back and I was like okay epidural, I didnt notice a thing, 2 people had to hold me still b/c contractions wouldnt stop and then it was instant relief. I was like hello how come no one tells you that, I would have done that hours ago, not even 30 mins into it, they shut it off b/c babies head was finally down, pushed him out once I could feel legs again, I would NEVER EVER again let them induce me, it was horrific.  He was 10 lbs 3 oz.  With last it was emergency c section and they wanted to put me out but I refused so finally my dr just said we have to go, she dosent want put out fine give her an epidural, he was breech and his foot was coming down birth canal. My first took so long,2 wks late,  I was in no rush to get to hospital this time and it was an error in judgement.  This time I will be scheduled c section and I will refuse anything but epidural, I dont want to miss those first few moments, that first cry.  Its amazing, no matter how u do it. :) After I  start shaking and convulsing like im freezing cold and thats about the worst of it. 

beadingmom17
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:24 PM
Not that I'm trying to talk you out of it, but how do you "just know" you'll "be on all fours screaming"? If you're into natural things, why not give it a go naturally and if you need the epi, you need the epi, but if not, you can say you did it? I would just hate to see someone resign themselves to something if their heart is telling them something else.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Diatech12
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:29 AM

I had the epi with my first 2. It wasnt terrible but the shooting pain down my left leg WAS. With my second I actually got a leak from the epi puncture and had some headachs. It actually worked TOO well and I was still numb a day later.

And I dont say that to disuaide you. Ive thought about it this time too, I plan on going natural but sometimes think "this is my last one, do I want to be in pain?' but I know I will kick my self because I know the benifits for both of us and I know what it did to me last time.

My husband thought I would be terrible at labor, Im a huge wenie but it turns out Im actually pretty good at it! So you never know until you try!

VintageWife
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:34 AM
1 mom liked this
What?!? What in the world have you been watching that you think natural birth looks and sounds like that.

I'm not doing an epidural again. I have nerve damage from it. My third was natural and it was the easiest to recover from. I got right up and started showering and everything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommabearbergh
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:43 AM
I have had a epi but please don't go into it thinking its all sunshine and lollipops. There are side effects like the shakes and the cold feeling and there is a chance of a post lumbar headache. If you get it ask the anesthesiologist how long has he been doing it do not get a student. I rather get the person with experience then the student just me but to each there own. Do your research on pain options and weigh them out. I personally will be going the no drug route but as I have said before to each their own
mama232011
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:52 AM
The epidural doesn't hurt but mine didn't work... the pain from labor is bad but my lo is 7 months old and I just laugh cuz I don't remember it being so bad. However I do remember screaming like a psycho so it must have lol
kblpooh
by Silver Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:59 AM
1 mom liked this
With my first 2 the hospital didn't do epi's so I had an intrathecal instead. It helped somewhat but I was still feeling pain and was exhausted as a result. I had an epi with my last and it was awesome! I was able to enjoy the birth so much more because I wasn't so tired or in excruciating pain.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aortiz22
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 1:14 AM

I don't think you should feel guilty, no one knows your pain but you. You are the on,y one who has to experience it. Ideally I would like to go natural but I don't have to prove anything to anyone and its not a big deal to me to say I did it. What is a big deal is delivering a beautiful baby in a way that you're most comfortable and is best for you. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN