Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Episiotimies, Please Explain

Posted by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:12 AM
  • 32 Replies

I hear people say you don't want one, don't let them do it.  Ok, so that's fine, if I tear, I tear, right?  But then....I met with my new chiropractor earlier this week and we were discussing my prenatal treament plan and he was brought up the things we will be going over to strengthen muscles so I won't tear.  He seems to come off as the holistic type so when he made it sound like cutting was better than tearing it kind of threw me off.  I saw his point.  He said that the reason doctors prefer to cut is because when you tear you don't tear in a pretty, straight line.  It's sort of ragged and it's harder for the pieces to heal back together like that.  Trust me, his terminology was better, lol

So, what's the deal guys? 

CafeMom Tickers
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jules1990
by Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Well I had episiotimies will all three and I was told the same thing. The 1st and 3rd I was fine but the 2nd was so bad, I could barely sit or walk without being in so much pain. 

heathermarie23
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:23 AM

I don't know... I think I'd prefer to tear, if you tear you may only need a stitch or two (or maybe not) but if they cut you, you'll need many.  Luckily I have never tore before... but I requested no episiotomy.

Kaydence2010
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:26 AM
I barely tore with dd, only needed 1 stitch. Some women tear worse than others. From my point of view and opinion its better to tear, i dont care if its "pretty" down there or not. It all depends on the doctor you talk to as well. My doctors and birthing classes i went to said it is better to tear and will heal easier but see your doctor said the opposite. Its really all a personal preference
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
DACIA79
by Silver Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:28 AM
I did tear with both deliveries a couple stitches and I was fine. If I was expecting a huge baby I would have let them cut me but my babies were 6 pounds.
lifeforchrist
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:52 AM

no. Episiotomies tear straight through and damage the area. Wheras natural tearing has a tendency to miss all the important things and keep the structure intact. You absolutely do not ever want to consent to an episiotomy.

MelKGriffin
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 11:04 AM

http://www.everydayfamily.com/blog/new-episiotomy-guidelines-why-a-little-snip-can-be-bad/  (not sure how to make it clicky) 

LuvNmyGrl
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 11:06 AM
I've never had one with either kid. My first dr was amazing and massaged the area with this stuff while I was pushing so by the time I pushed I didn't tear. The second was bigger and they were both born very quickly but I didn't tear either. They say if you take I think mineral oil ( look that up though) and massive your perineum before la or you will have less of a chance of tearing
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Kadawn
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 11:20 AM

http://parenting.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/01/27/what-you-dont-know-about-episiotomies-can-hurt-you/?smid=fb-share

Devious103102
by Ruby Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 11:27 AM
1 mom liked this

Honestly. I've been cut twice, I've torn twice. The tears were MUCH smaller than the cuts and healed SO much better!  With cuts they have a tendency to go further then they actually NEED to, where, if, they were to let you tear, it'd probably be a very minor tear.  With DD1 and DD2 they did the episiotimy and the heal time took at least 6wks. I couldn't really sit, coughing, sneezing, anything that even mildly MOVED things down there hurt like a real SOB!   With DD3 I tore on my own and it was so small I only needed 1 stitch and with DD4 the tear was SO minor I didn't have to be stitched at all! It made things SO much easier!

KaRaBaSsEtT
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 11:33 AM
I've delivered 5 babies (10lbers lol) with zero tearing. My midwife used oils and massage to prevent damage!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)