Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

2nd baby shower? yes or no?

This will be my second child, my DD will be 5 in June. This will be my SO's first child, so is it okay to have a second baby shower? Or is that tacky?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 5:42 PM
Replies (11-20):
marissabrookee
by Silver Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:53 PM
I agree :) and it should be celebrated that my SO is having his first baby!

Quoting kmqw229:

I think every baby should be celebrated!
Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:56 PM
I was told this pregnancy that i had to have a shower because we have a boy and we were having a girl. No one wanted to throw one for me(a good thing because 2 girls at work attempted to throw one for another girl at work and no one showed up).
I had a few people tell me they wanted to throw me a shower for my first and theynever got in touch with me about it so i did it myself.

I think that throwing yourself a second shower is a little tacky, but i also think that every baby should be celebrated. We are having a welcome baby party on the 20th, and baby will be 3 weeks old the 21st. We sent the invites as birth announcements and stated that,"we know some people like to celebrate new babies with a gift so we created a small registry with the items we are in need of (diapers and baby proofing stuff)".
mama_pink_tink
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:58 PM

OMG! you read my mind asking this! I am still not sure if I want a shower for this baby or not. Not because I think its tacky or anything, but because I ended up with 3 with my first born. I feel guilty accepting that much from everyone. I dont think its tacky at all, celebrating a new life coming into this world, in my opinion is completely acceptable. another option is turing it into a diaper shower. 

Raeann11
by Platinum Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Really depends on where you live. Where I am if is not the opposite sex you don't have one.

Mommabearbergh
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 5:02 PM
I am having another baby shower for my dd2 my daughters are going to be six years apart . We have nothing from six years ago we have bought something's I don't expect gifts of a crazy amount I love being around my family
marissabrookee
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 5:03 PM

yeah it will have been 6 years when I have my 2nd child in December so I barely have anything from then too. I donated a lot thinking I wouldnt have another child for 10 years or so (I was 18 with my first).

Quoting Mommabearbergh:

I am having another baby shower for my dd2 my daughters are going to be six years apart . We have nothing from six years ago we have bought something's I don't expect gifts of a crazy amount I love being around my family

tjane3000
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 5:04 PM
I think because its his first its perfectly fine :)
marissabrookee
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 5:04 PM

my thoughts exactly :)

Quoting tjane3000:

I think because its his first its perfectly fine :)

Mommabearbergh
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 5:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol me to. What I get from mom on why people said more then one is tacky is because people used to have kids back to back and now from what I have seen people space their kids by a lot of years do it makes sense to have another baby shower

Quoting marissabrookee:

yeah it will have been 6 years when I have my 2nd child in December so I barely have anything from then too. I donated a lot thinking I wouldnt have another child for 10 years or so (I was 18 with my first).

Quoting Mommabearbergh:

Strawberry2008
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 5:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I do not think it is tacky. Your kids are several years apart, but you are also in a new relationship. So I think it is fine to do that, especially since this is your so's first child. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)