Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

What does true labor feel like?

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 11:02 AM
  • 17 Replies

I was induced with my first, so I don't know what going in to labor actually feels like. Can anyone who has gone in to labor on their own share their experiences? I am cramping like I am on my period, and feel like I want to punch someone in the face...I can feel a dull pain in my vagina..I'm drinking lots of water to make sure it's not dehydration...oh, and my back hurts.

Any help would be much appreciated!!

by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 11:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Larsbug
by Laura on Apr. 7, 2013 at 11:08 AM

not really sure to be honest...I too was induced with DS1 and that ended in emergency c-section. I had back labor with DS1 too so I know what back labor feels like. Good luck mama!

meam4444
by Emerald Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 12:34 PM

It's really hard for me to say...I only know it is actual labor when active labor onsets which contractions are coming every five minutes or less and lasting about a minute or so each, and I have to focus on them.  Or, when my water breaks...labor is so different for everyone too.

GoddessNDaRuff
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 1:29 PM

A bad period but you get a little relief inbetween cramps. Now i've only ever had back labor so normal labor might feel different.

natural_s
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Like someone said every pregnancy is different but it hurts and it hurts badly. I don't know what to compare it to but it would probably be one of the worst pains you could feel in your stomach area and during a contraction you would hardly be able to speak to anyone and yes you might want to do violence. You would get a relief for a little bit but the pain should return just as quickly. Walking should be impossible when you are in labor. This has been my experience though, just don't know how to explain it to you but I think you will know because its not no light pain feeling.

Now I have experienced back labor with my first daughter and did not even know that was a sign of labor as the pain was only in my back and that was just a constant lower back pain that will not got away for nothing but no pain in the front just your back, even though I guess your stomach does get hard.

Hope I have not confused you but for me it was worst then menstrual pain and I normaly get painful periods so for me I can not compare it to that.

Good luck.

brittany208
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 3:10 PM

I was induced too... and even after I was induced with pitocin, I had a really easy labor, so I don't know either.

Really hoping to go into labor naturally this time

BeFit-Mom
by Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Contractions feel like the uterus is tightening, then after 30 sesconds or so, relaxing. When labor starts in ernest, contractions get closer than 5 minutes apart and get progressively stronger. Pre-labor contractions are not intense. But when you start to think "wow, that was a big one," then true labor has most likely started.

BeFit-Mom

mommy2585
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 4:45 PM

My first DD was induced with meds and with second DD they broke my water at 3 CM to induce. With my third DD, the first contraction was breathtakingly painful. My sister and I were sitting in the drive thru at sonic, and I told her that labor was beginning. I experienced no period-like cramping at all. The contractions started off with a bad pain, increased in painfulness, and then the pain decreased until it disappeared. I had these contractions about every 15 minutes after having the first one and slowly the time between contractions grew shorter and shorter. It was manageable with the breaks in-between until I reached 8 cm and they were coming what seemed like back-to-back. 

Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Apr. 7, 2013 at 6:31 PM

That sounds like it could be the beginnning. But it could also go on like that for a while. How many weeks are you? 

Raeann11
by Platinum Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 6:35 PM

1st my water  broke and then contractions started 10 mins later. They got stronger and closer together as time went on.

2nd Contractions started and they got closer and stronger.

My third I went into labor 5 times for it to stop 5-12 hours later. I had so much going on for 5-8 weeks.  But when labor hit. It hit hard and fast. They were very strong right away and close together. They were 10 mins apart and within 45 mins they were 3 mins apart.

polkaspots
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 12:58 AM
You ever had someone hurt you that you couldn't hit back? That. Uuurg kind of feeling where you just want punch people? That was what my contractions were like. My whole body tensed up and I had nowhere to put all of that pressure. It hurts, but you get used to it and then it doesn't hurt hurt again until the pushing.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)