Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Opening gifts at a baby shower...

Posted by   + Show Post
I'm expecting about 75-100 people at my baby shower :/ we have to rent out a place it's crazy .. Anywho I really don't wanna open ALL OF THOSE gifts but I can see how people may feel it's rude or ungrateful.

So I came up with two ideas:

Opening gifts as the people walk in
Opening gifts table by table...

What do you think? Did you open presents?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 11:56 AM
Replies (81-87):
tpickle
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 2:58 PM

I was at a shower yesterday, and it was boring to watch the mom and dad to be, open the gifts, but everyone wants to see their own gift received and appreciated don't they?  I like the idea of baby gift bingo during the present opening, pre-opening gifts, and having a cute young child to help.  Anything to make the process more entertaining and festive.  If the person opening the gifts has a great personality and can really project excitement and appreciation that really helps too.  Certianly, if you don't open the gifts, don't expect these people to want to come to your next baby shower and buy you another great gift, even if you send them a nice thank you note.

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 6:48 AM

I was never lucky enough to have a baby shower.

CafeMom Tickers
kalejames2010
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:28 AM
This and you could also break it up throughout the shower instead of doing it all at once.

Quoting meam4444:

I opened gifts...we just had everyone sit and watch.  We usually did it kind of around dessert time, so people could eat versus feeling like they had to watch. kwim?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
1stTimeMom1982
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:16 AM

I opened gifts but only had maybe 40 or 50 ppl at my shower. 

Aortiz22
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:19 PM

I have a huge guest list as well so Im not opening presents. 

little.wise.owl
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:21 PM
Then why invite so many people...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bluelace777
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:37 PM

I've never been to a shower, and I'm not going to have one myself. You can suggest that the guests bring a book for the baby instead of a gift, you can request no gifts, or you can request that they don't wrap them...but since you're having that many people you should expect to take a long time to open them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)