Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Opening gifts at a baby shower...

Posted by   + Show Post
I'm expecting about 75-100 people at my baby shower :/ we have to rent out a place it's crazy .. Anywho I really don't wanna open ALL OF THOSE gifts but I can see how people may feel it's rude or ungrateful.

So I came up with two ideas:

Opening gifts as the people walk in
Opening gifts table by table...

What do you think? Did you open presents?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 11:56 AM
Replies (51-60):
Jennyanne322
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:47 AM
I opened mine at my shower and it took forever to do it. Like 2 hours. One of my friends had out in her invites to please wrap gifts in clear wrap or not to wrap them. So she didn't have to unwrap them. It was a cute idea and went by a lot quicker.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Xansmomma1112
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:55 AM

I had over 100 people at my shower. I had enough time to greet my guests, eat, and then spent the entire rest of my shower opening gifts. 

im_not_trollin
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:59 AM

I opened gifts at mine. But I only had like 16 people at my first one, and then a friend threw me a small one with my second since my kids are 5 years apart I didn't have everything needed anymore so she invited like 10 people. So, it was small, but I opened gifts at the end while people were eating cake.

I am wondering this though for my kids birthday. My two oldest always have a party together and this year we are inviting both of their entire classes plus kids in the neighborhood plus family. Last year they opened gifts after cake, but it took forever and the kids were all wet from the water slide and stuff, so we are thinking about not having them open them this year but not sure if that would be rude...

Ealane2011
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:11 AM

I had a big shower. We were expecting about 80 and about 65 of them actually showed up. I just had to sit down and open gifts in front of everyone. But between my family and DH's they treated my shower like a family reunion. All ,but maybe 10 people if that, didn't care to even pay any attention and watch. I was trying to talk over a bunch of rude people that couldn't stop their conversations long enough for me to even get done. So I just went with the flow, didn't try to talk loudly over them and pretty much just opened them telling my writer who they were from.

WishingAway
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:12 AM

I would open every single one lol infront of everyone bc I am a weirdo lol

notjstanothrmom
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:14 AM

I would just open them as you go and do it fast. People can eat and talk as they go. Opening them as you walk in is weird. Not to mention people come in and relax, not stand there and watch you open gifts.

And table by table is weird too. People want to see what you got.

Autumn19
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:15 AM

idk my shower had about 6 ppl so.......

momma_gig
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:17 AM

This is what I did with mine. Although, I only had about 60 people. It still took a long time to open all of them, but at least that wasn't the only thing going on. 

Also, have someone help you when you're opening them. My friends came up and we made a system-- my one friend handed me a present, I opened it, handed the papers to my other friend to throw out, and another friend wrote down who it was from and what it was. That made it go a little faster than me having to do it all by myself.

Quoting meam4444:

I opened gifts...we just had everyone sit and watch.  We usually did it kind of around dessert time, so people could eat versus feeling like they had to watch. kwim?

pregnancy

Lennox28
by Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:18 AM

My sister opened gifts at hers and it did take a very long time, but it was when the cake was handed out and people ate their cake while she opened and those that had to take off before she was done were able to do so. 

baby7810
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:46 AM

i had anywhere from 60-80 people at mine but it was an open house type of party from 1-5 and i opened gifts at 2 and 4. so it kinda helped. now at my bridal shower we had 85 people (all woman) and it took my hubby (fiance at time obviously) an hour and a half to open all the gifts

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)