Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Opening gifts at a baby shower...

Posted by   + Show Post
I'm expecting about 75-100 people at my baby shower :/ we have to rent out a place it's crazy .. Anywho I really don't wanna open ALL OF THOSE gifts but I can see how people may feel it's rude or ungrateful.

So I came up with two ideas:

Opening gifts as the people walk in
Opening gifts table by table...

What do you think? Did you open presents?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 11:56 AM
Replies (61-70):
LizzieAnnesMom
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:46 AM
I like opening presents. My sister is in charge of the shower and she is going way above and beyond lol. She isnt done with the guest list and so far approx 40 people are coming lol. I will likely open the presents at the party.i cant wait!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
popomill
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:53 AM
Had about 60-80 people at my shower. I opened gifts. We played a game too and handed out prizes at the end. Just do me a favor, if you do open gifts in front of everyone PLEASE just announce to the party that your doing so. I went to a party and no one even knew she was opening them until she was about half way through which I thought was so rude because I'm sure people would like to see her open their gifts.
zetajen
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:04 AM

it may be too late for this, but the card could suggest the gifts not be wrapped. My cousin did this for a wedding shower and I thought it went really well. I don't want to watch someone open more than about 10 or 15 gifts. I feel bad for talking to others at the party and not paying attention, but it is really boring.

theresaphilly
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Table by table. It took me about 1-1/2 hours for me to open my gifts. Good Luck Girl!

la_bella_vita
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:45 AM

I've never been to a shower where all the gifts were not opened.

maybaby22
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Went to a shower recently and she spent about two hours opening gifts- everyone was bored and she didn't get to visit with everyone. Its tough because you want to see her open it but its so time consuming.

KaynKorie
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:51 AM

I've never had that many gifts/small family. It took me maybe 30 minutes or so each time. I don't know what I would do in your position. I think I would be so grateful I would want to open all of them! :)

BabyFetus Ticker

pregnancy calendar

smorekids
by Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:52 AM
I say serve the cake & all that jazz, and open gifts then. If people want to stay & watch they will, if not they'll leave. I like to watch expecting parents open gifts, plus I Ooo & Aahh over all the cute stuff. Haha
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Whitney15
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Open them! Lol! I know it's super awkward, and always takes forever..but I never knew how important it was until I went to a shower where they didn't open them. The entire time I was like, really? How rude of you! And I know at my shower, I had friends that had made things like blankets or paintings for the nursery...I can't imagine how they would have felt to not be able to see me open them. 

Maybe try and do it around dessert time or something? That way people aren't just sitting there staring at you lol. 

tjane3000
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:57 AM
I did it while people ate and dinner/lunch and cake so they were occupied.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)