Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Opening gifts at a baby shower...

Posted by   + Show Post
I'm expecting about 75-100 people at my baby shower :/ we have to rent out a place it's crazy .. Anywho I really don't wanna open ALL OF THOSE gifts but I can see how people may feel it's rude or ungrateful.

So I came up with two ideas:

Opening gifts as the people walk in
Opening gifts table by table...

What do you think? Did you open presents?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 11:56 AM
Replies (71-80):
koalasami
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 12:01 PM

I agree with this.  The other idea is always to turn it into a game - bingo or whatnot so that they are participating and getting something out of it.  I went to one where each person who got a bingo got a prize - there were 8 or 10 prizes.  After that if you got a bingo you could take a prize from another person.  Whatever you had when the presents were done you got to keep.  it kept everyone engaged throughout the opening. 

Quoting meam4444:

I opened gifts...we just had everyone sit and watch.  We usually did it kind of around dessert time, so people could eat versus feeling like they had to watch. kwim?

awesomemommy2
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 12:06 PM

I had a small one since I an not big into showers but my BFF's was big.  Like close to 100 people.  She is from a huge family as is her husband so just immediate relatives (siblings, inlaws, aunts, 1st cousins) was like 75 of them.   

She opened some before we ate, some as people were finishing up, then we did a game and then the rest while dessert was being served.    We helped her by "pre-opening" the gifts and cards so that she could do it quickly.   

Luckily she got a ton of gift cards so those went super quick.   

MinglingMom
by Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 12:32 PM

We had a co-ed baby shower so DH and I ended up opening gifts together which helped cut the time in half. It still took almost an hour but it was better than doing it on my own.

naj2013
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 12:39 PM
I didn't open gifts, there was a lot going on and there was a lot of people. I sent thank you notes (a lot) thanking everyone for their gifts.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Thelmama
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Opening them while they come in doesn't seem like a good idea to me. Makes it appear you only wanted the presents, not factual but that is how some people think.  I opened all of mine and people loved oohing and ahhing over them. LOL

Rae706
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 1:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I let SD help me open the presents. She's cute, took some of the attention off of me and she can really rip into a present so it cut the time in half. Got any kids you can get to help?

Davel1977
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 2:16 PM

So, 100 people will take time out of their day, buy a gift (and I'm sure some of them cannot afford to do so) and come to pay tribute to you and the child you are expecting BUT you don't want to take the time to open the gifts.  Sounds very ungrateful to me.  If they can take the time for you...you can take the time to open the gifts.

Mel0dy
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 2:18 PM
1 mom liked this

we did that at my baby shower. Seemed like everyone enjoyed it and had fun :) 

Quoting yessie.xo:

Play a game while opening them? Such as baby bingo. Im not having near as many ppl at mine & i think i may do that!

daylily888
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 2:19 PM

I like this idea.

Open the gifts in shifts and have a round of baby bingo!  For every gift you pull out another bingo number and call it out.  You open gifts until someone wins (have prizes).  Then take a break to eat, socialize, etc. Then in say 30 minutes, you play another round!

i wouldn't interrupt people entirely - just move back to the gift seat and have someone announce "It's time for another round of open-those-gifts, Baby BINGO!" Pull out your cards, B-5! This gift is from Nancy and the girls...(you open the card and while you read... ) G-3! (you open the gift and get a new one)  O-4, this one is from Uncle Bob and Aunt Carol (you open the card and while you read... ) N-1 (you open the gift and get a new one).  Continue until someone wins.  It might be fun to write BABY or the baby's name across the top of the bingo cards instead of BINGO and they shout BABY or baby's name when they win!

Quoting yessie.xo:

Play a game while opening them? Such as baby bingo. Im not having near as many ppl at mine & i think i may do that!

Clemency3
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 2:21 PM

I had a small baby shower (in my living room) so it was easy for me to do it all at once. Then I attended my Husband's Cousins's baby shower this past summer and let me say....that many people and her opening all the gifts at once...totally boring and lost interest while trying to wait it out to the point i missed the part when she opened mine. I think the table by table idea is a great idea. Start with one table, then socialize, then move on to the next and socialize some more..or consecutively table by table. That sounds like a great idea. When you have that many people attending...I would totally respect the fact that the gifts were not opened. But I know many that do get offended which is crazy. 

Anyway...at the end of the day..it is all about YOU..do what you feel is right..maybe you don't set a plan and you do it as you see fit. Enjoy!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN