Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Losing weight after giving birth

Hey girls, I'm due to give birth on May 5th, currently 36 weeks pregnant. I had my first baby last March and these two will be 13 months apart. I'm having trouble figuring out how to lose weight though, I'm overweight right now and would like to get back to where I was before I got pregnant. I need to lose about 50 pounds, I weighed 115 when I got pregnant the first time, went up to 145 and couldn't lose all that weight before I got pregnant again, now I'm up to 165 and would like to lose the 50 pounds I gained while pregnant. I don't have to lose all of it just most of it, like say I got around 120 that'd be fine. I just want to lose weight, I hate being fat and feel so ugly being fat. Is there anything I should do to lose weight? I have never had to lose weight before, now I do.

by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:35 AM
Replies (21-30):
bressmommy2012
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 2:24 PM

I hope your right. I hope I feel more energy even though I'll still be pregnant, well probably I have a few weeks to go.

Quoting MsGrayciesMommy:

I'm the same way. Just commit to this week. Say.. 5 days. By then you should notice more energy and just overall feel better.

Quoting bressmommy2012:

Thanks. I think I'm going to go for a walk here in a little bit. I feel so huge though so I dunno if it'll motovate me.

Quoting MsGrayciesMommy:

It will definitely help to start now. I always hear walking thrughout pregnancy helps during labor too! Just stat hydrated and listen to your body. You will obviously be tired, but don't push too hard:)

Quoting bressmommy2012:

I think I could do an hour and if it's raining out or something I could take the bus to the mall and walk around inside the mall. Should I do this before I have the baby too or wait until after I have the baby?

Quoting MsGrayciesMommy:

I took a fitness class in college. The instructor recommended about an hour daily. But longer if you're not doing other exercise. It seems like a lot, butjust enjoy the time out and fresh air, iit'll fly:)

Quoting bressmommy2012:

How long should my walks be for? That sounds like a great idea too, I just got a double stroller as a gift and plan on using that a lot. I think I just need some motovation.

bressmommy2012
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Thanks ladies. Sounds like some really good advice, I'm going to go for a walk, it's raining out so I'm taking the bus to the mall and walking around there.

kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:42 AM
My baby was born in June 2012. I have been doing weight watchers. I like that they take breastfeeding into account, and I can lose weight in a healthy way. I have lost 28lbs and have 12-15 to go
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MammaKoi
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Well try doing portions, get up on Fitnesspal and track what your eating. If you do it now then after the baby it will 5x's easier. I'm 20wks and I'm doing portion sizes and everything the way I'm suppose to. 

Heather2001
by Heather on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Cut out processed foods, eat more fruits and veggies, exercise.  Oh, and NO SODA!  Don't drink your calories.

jellybeanjean
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:36 PM

This is so true! I found walking withthe stroller every day + breast feeding was remarkable to losing weight and firming up a little bit with my first. Try to find uphills even if they are at a low incline, it does a lot! Walking is good because it's not so hard, so you don't give up!

You are also giving birth at the perfect time to go walking! Good luck! I know I will be doing a lot of walking after my baby #2 is born this summer

Quoting MsGrayciesMommy:

I'm kind of in the same boat. I use pinterest to get motivation and different exercises to stay interested. But walking is the best exercise. Especially if you can find somewhere to walk while pushing your babies in a stroller. That'd be great!

BeFit-Mom
by Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Most likely, after this childbirth, you'll be around 150 pounds, so that's only 30 pounds over your goal weight of 120. Remember, a lot of your "baby weight" is not fat. It's baby, placenta, 50% more blood volume, etc. So in reality, you don't need to diet and exercise as much off as it might appear.

Exclusive breast feeding is by far the best for both your baby's health and yours too. Eat the amount you need to support your metabolism at your ideal weight, and add on an additional 500 for EBFing. This will come out to about 1800 to 2000 calories per day.

Don't ever go below 1500 a day, as this will cause your body to go into "starvation mode" and dramatically lower its metabolsm, and this will prevent weight loss. Rapid weight loss always involves loss of lean tissue too. So if you rapidly lose 20 pounds, up to 10 pounds of that can come from lean tissue (protein from your muscles). This in turn lower basal metabolism again, making it that much harder to lose more weight.

So while healthy weight loss is agonizingly slow, rapid weight loss causes a lot more problems than it solves.

Every new mom goes through a postpartum "mommy-body" phase. For most, this lasts anywhere from 6 mos to 1 year. (Athletic women are the exception here.)  Your body is in a transitional state, so go with this flow as much as you can.

About 6 weeks after childbirth, buy or borrow a few pieces of clothing that fit and flatter your mommy-body. This will make you look and feel a lot better about yourself. 

Eat the highest quality diet that you have access too. Avoid all fast foods, these low quality foods prevent weight loss.

I've saved my best tip for last: Eat dinner off a lunch plate. This really works to trim excessive eating from our daily habits.

BeFit-Mom

SSMama0209
by Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Before I got pregnant I had lost 60 pounds. I used the slimfast program (which was hard to stick to at first) and walking to begin, and then slim fast and riding bikes. After a while I was able to control the calories without the slimfast but with a combo of walking and riding. Key is to cut calories and get moving, and don't lose more than 2lbs a week if you can.

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

momma_gig
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:54 PM

The only way I was able to successfully lose (and keep off) the weight was to go completely vegan (no meat, dairy, eggs, or animal bi products). I went vegan in July and lost 25lbs before finding out I was pregnant with #3 in January. I lost another 10lbs from morning sickness, and have had "trouble" gaining them back because I don't eat a lot of fattening foods anymore. 

Of course, veganism isn't for everyone. Good luck in finding something that suits you!

sfank
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 6:14 PM

This is what I was going to say, mostly the part about not drinking calories. After my daughter I stuck to water, milk, coffee and tea (no sugar or other sweeteners). Also, if you chose to breastfeed don't get caught in the "I'm breastfeeding, I can eat anything I want" trap I got stuck in. You need to eat enough to keep up your supply for sure but don't think it means you can eat whatever you want.

If you're finding the thought of exercise overwhelming (now and after baby is here) just promise yourself to do five minutes. Often getting going is the hardest part but if you get started it's easy to keep going. If you only manage five minutes that's fine too but usually I find I want to keep going once I start. I hope this helped and good luck!

Quoting Heather2001:

Cut out processed foods, eat more fruits and veggies, exercise.  Oh, and NO SODA!  Don't drink your calories.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN