Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

It's too soon but...

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 12:54 PM
  • 11 Replies
I am 12 weeks but my best friend brought up wanting to throw me a baby shower when time is due. I feel terrible because I literally have NO friends other than one. I moved here when I was 23, the middle of nowhere. My family lives in other states and we really have no relationship. My husbands family hates me. Idk what to do, my one friend wants a list of people but there is NOBODY. When I was pregnant with my first I didn't have a baby shower and my mom gave me something, that's it. I didn't feel too bad realizing this in my head due to we live in a retirement area and the old friends we have made have passed on and our other "friends" are people we have helped when they need it and are in reality users. Now openly speaking it I feel lost and pathetic. How am I suppose to have a baby shower with no friends!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 12:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
misskrys86
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Well if there's no one to invite, it's hard to have a shower. You could always invite dh's family though, whether they're a fan of you or not, they're still family, and a shower is more for your baby, at least that's how I feel. I let my MiL invite whoever from her side of the family that she wanted, some of them I've only met once. Don't feel lost and pathetic though :) Me and dh recently discovered we don't like many other people than each other anyway, we've slowly stopped talking to a lot of "friends", sometimes life gets in the way of socializing. At least you have dh and your kids and at least 1 friend who cares enough to want to throw you a shower.

CafeMom Tickers

Loveavision
by Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:18 PM
Do you work? Invite coworkers! I realized once I got pregnant I literally had 2 friends left(because I obviously quit drinking and going to parties). I felt the same way!
Autumn19
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:42 PM

thats how i am and im a sahm mom. maybe try to get out and make some new friends. join groups on fb.

Larsbug
by Laura on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:56 PM

I'm the same way mama, I am a SAHM and I have some aquaintances but not any really good friends. Do you work? Invite co-workers. OR maybe just tell her you would rather do something fun just you and her...mani's, pedi's, and lunch!

Devious103102
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Well, maybe instead of a big shower she could take you out to dinner. 

Sagemm
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:56 AM
His family is out of the question! When I say hate, I mean they would have a party if something happend to myself and baby. My daughter is outcasted my them. However I will make the most of what I have! I am blessed!

Quoting misskrys86:

Well if there's no one to invite, it's hard to have a shower. You could always invite dh's family though, whether they're a fan of you or not, they're still family, and a shower is more for your baby, at least that's how I feel. I let my MiL invite whoever from her side of the family that she wanted, some of them I've only met once. Don't feel lost and pathetic though :) Me and dh recently discovered we don't like many other people than each other anyway, we've slowly stopped talking to a lot of "friends", sometimes life gets in the way of socializing. At least you have dh and your kids and at least 1 friend who cares enough to want to throw you a shower.

Sagemm
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:59 AM
That's so me; once I had my first daughter (now 10), I no longer wished to hang on to those who I didn't feel like I trusted with my child. Most friends who didn't have kids didn't understand when I didn't go out All te time but then I moved.

Quoting Loveavision:

Do you work? Invite coworkers! I realized once I got pregnant I literally had 2 friends left(because I obviously quit drinking and going to parties). I felt the same way!

lillucky8
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:59 AM
1 mom liked this
Id say either invite family from out of state if you think they can make it, or just tell your friend you dont have enough ppl to have a shower and would rather just do something with her like a spa day or something.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kris0921
by Kristen on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:26 AM
Join a mommy group at the library and make friends that way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Heather2001
by Heather on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Well, you have two choices.  You can actively try to make friends in the area or you can just have a girls day with your friend.  Both have their advantages and disadvantages.  Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured