Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Baby is a little small-Now What??

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 2:16 PM
  • 10 Replies

So Idk if some of you saw the post last week but at my 32 week appointment, my OB said I was measuring 3cm small. So she oredered a sonogram. I went for the sonogram on Wednesday. I just called this morning to see if the results from it were in yet and a nurse called and said the Doc wasn't in until tomorrow but she said everything looked good, she has grown a lot since the last sonogram, she's just small.

What exactly does that mean now?? Will I have to be induced early?? Is that bad??

She said my fluid levels and everything else were great. Just the baby is a little small...She said the doctor will call me tomorrow, but I just want to know if there is anything I should be expecting with this phone call. I have been worrying for the last week and just quite frankly want to put my mind to rest finally.

by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 2:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DKk0531
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 2:20 PM
They told me that with dd too. Nothing wrong...she was just small. Born 6lbs 9oz. They didnt have me do any specific, nothing seriously wrong. I wouldnt worry too much :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Apr. 8, 2013 at 2:25 PM

The measurements they use are based on the average numbers taken over the course of many, many years. They don't account for genetics or your baby's personal growth pattern. I wouldn't be concerned unless there's a drastic decrease in growth for 4+ weeks consistently.

Clemency3
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 2:28 PM

It really doesn't sound bad at all. the hardest part is trusting when they say that everything is fine despite what they say. Maybe your baby is just a little smaller than the average which is no big deal since every baby is different. What you want to be concerned with is that your baby is growing at a constant healthy rate which it sounds like is happening. Clearly the worst thing this nurse did was tell you..."your baby is small but when the doctor is in she will call you." She should have never told you anything and just left it for the Doctor to tell you all at once so you didn't sit here pondering. 

Autumn19
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 2:28 PM

dont let it worry you and dont let them scare you into interventions. both my kids were born 38w and only 5lbs 7oz for my first and 5lbs 11oz for my second and they were perfectly healthy!

tyrelsmom
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 2:33 PM
Due date could be off. Or baby could be like my 3rd. 6lbs 12oz at 41 weeks 4 days. Healthy as a horse.... just a peanut.
DACIA79
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 2:39 PM
I was told my baby would be small during a ultrasound he was born 6lbs 7oz and 22 inches long so don't worry
kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:37 AM
It is just fine if your baby is "small." Think about your size or the father's size, and usually baby is pretty similar. Try not to worry.

I'm 4'11" and my hubby is 5'9" - we don't make large babies. All 3 of mine measured on the small side on ultrasounds. They were 6lb14oz and 19in, 6lb and 19in, and 6lb 3oz and 18.5in.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
styler7
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:40 AM
Babies come in all different sizes :)
My twins were 5wks early, and discharged 4 days after delivery weighing 4lbs 5oz and 3lbs 14oz. Tiny but healthy :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MsGrayciesMommy
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:41 AM
It really doesn't mean anything. Babies grow at their own rate inside the womb and after tthey're born too.

My dd measured about two weeks 'small' most of my pregnancy. She was only 6lbs3oz when she was born, but perfectly healthy :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CheesyKitty
by Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:43 AM
I would.LOVE to be told my baby was going to be "small". Easier birth (well in my head) Healthy but tiny would rock, get more use out of newborn clothes& diapers. My Dd was 8lb 10oz. She skipped newborn stuff altogether. Due any day now so and think this one will be just as big.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)