Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Midwife experiences

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 2:34 PM
  • 19 Replies

So just curious if anyone has experienced both an OBGYN and a Midwife before. I'd like to get a comparison but over all just would like to know what their personal experience was like with a Midwife. 

by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 2:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Autumn19
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 2:39 PM

bump

breeking
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 2:52 PM

I had a midwife with my first two and now and OBGYN. I think because where I am from and midwives are not as popular as other parts of the country I felt that they took more time with me. It could just be my OBGYN too he seems to kick me out of the office and only focuses on my well being and seems to get through the baby fast. I dont know like I said it could be because he is busy. I wanted to try both though.

Delta.Dawn
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 2:56 PM

I had an OB with my other pregnancies this time and its been a better experience this time. The OB was great at his job but he seemed not to have any form of personality and was so cold period. 

GoddessNDaRuff
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 3:03 PM

I have. I had both my first pregnancy and I loved all of them. I had two OBs and two midwives. Every since I've only had midwives. One was a complete ass (second pregnancy) so I switched to another and she was great. The one I have now is wonderful. Midwives take more time with you than OBs do and tend to be more detailed with explanations so you understand exactly what is going on.

Augmama2be
by Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 4:44 PM

I had an OB with my first daughter and a midwife with my second and this pregnancy and I would never go back to an OB unless I had to. My midwife is so much more attentive and works with me and listens to me. My OB spoke to me and did not listen to me.

xredstarsx
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 4:48 PM
I've had both and midwives are so much better!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Clemency3
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 5:02 PM

THANK YOU!!! I have sided with a midwife group this pregnancy to save money so I feel better now :)

Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Apr. 8, 2013 at 5:09 PM

I saw an OBgyn at 11 weeks with my first baby and have never gone back to one for prenatal care again. Nor will I ever, unless there is a complication that cannot be resolved. I was told at 11 weeks that I would need a c-section because my hips and pelvis were too narrow. She would "allow" me to be induced at 37 weeks, but I had a 10 hour time limit and if baby wasn't here by then, it would be a c-section. If they estimated the baby to be over a certain weight (I believe over 7lbs5oz?), I would have a c-section. I walked out and never looked back. I began seeing midwives and had two incredible, empowering natural births of babies OVER 9lbs. 

Here is the result of both of my pregnancies in which I was tended to by midwives throughout pregnancy and birth:

Baby #1

Baby #2

And i'm currently pregnant with #3 and am using a midwife again for a homebirth. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Maternity tickers
Clemency3
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 7:21 PM
Thanks for sharing! They certainly turned out beautiful :)
Quoting Pandapanda:

I saw an OBgyn at 11 weeks with my first baby and have never gone back to one for prenatal care again. Nor will I ever, unless there is a complication that cannot be resolved. I was told at 11 weeks that I would need a c-section because my hips and pelvis were too narrow. She would "allow" me to be induced at 37 weeks, but I had a 10 hour time limit and if baby wasn't here by then, it would be a c-section. If they estimated the baby to be over a certain weight (I believe over 7lbs5oz?), I would have a c-section. I walked out and never looked back. I began seeing midwives and had two incredible, empowering natural births of babies OVER 9lbs. 

Here is the result of both of my pregnancies in which I was tended to by midwives throughout pregnancy and birth:

Baby #1

Baby #2

And i'm currently pregnant with #3 and am using a midwife again for a homebirth. 

brittany208
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 7:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it also depends on the dr/midwife. I personally have an OB/GYN that I like a lot. He tells me his professional medical opinion, but then lets me do what I want :) For example, he does vax, but doesnt push me to AT ALL. He's very supportive of me laboring the way I want. And he's very laid-back, which I like. Probably because he and his wife have like 6 kids. so.... he's seen it all!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured