Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

For 2nd+ time mothers.. what procedures did you opt out of for your newborn?

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:57 AM
  • 17 Replies
My hospital's labor and delivery section on the website does not seem to be giving any sort of info as to what kind of treatments are routine with the newborn... and since its been 15 years since my last, I am not sure what to expect but I want to be prepared to say no to anything that may be unnecessary ..

Does anyone know of a good link to find a list of newborn procedures, and does anyone have a personal experience they'd be willing to share in terms of what you may or may not have refused for your baby while at the hospital? Any input would be greatly appreciated! TIA!

the only thing I can remember from DS in 1997 is eye ointment and something to do with vitamin k? Can't remember anything else but I'm sure there's a ton.

I'm having a c section if that makes any difference. Thank you again for thoughts!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tyrelsmom
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:16 AM
1 mom liked this
I opted out of both the eye ointment and vit k. They don't do the hep b shot at birth here, so I didn't have to worry about that. I also didn't allow them to bathe her. We did do the PKU.
Momof5kids84
by Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:18 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't opt out of anything. So, I'm no help. Bump for better advice.
FarmGirl2B
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:23 AM
1 mom liked this
Baby didn't get anything but the vitamin k, which helps with the clotting process during the circumcision. He got a bath. I don't remember much else. I did have to sign a waiver for the stuff I refused.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:27 AM
1 mom liked this
I did everything but eye ointment. It isn't necessary unless you have certain std's and they test you for them at the beginning of pregnancy.
Also since you are having a c-section they are unnecessary because baby won't be going out naturally anyway.

After my first, he had eye drops, his eyes were red and gross for days, my second didn't have eye drops and her eyes were a little red the first day and fine after that. Makes for much cuter pictures.
Larsbug
by Laura on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:30 AM
1 mom liked this

my hospital doesn't even do the eye drops anymore unless you ask them to... we didn't opt out of anything.

3_times_blessed
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:37 AM
1 mom liked this
We didn't opt out of anything so im not much help. thankfully we did the PKU because it is how we discovered our youngest had a rare genetic disorder.
xredstarsx
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:03 PM
We opted out of vit k, eye drops and he's not circumcised.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:05 PM
2 moms liked this

All of them. I don't do anything to my newborns. The nurse I had with my first gave me evidence for and against everything and then her suggestions, and based on that information, we denied all procedures. With my second, the nurse put the eye goop in without even consulting us. She got a nice earful for that. 

mama2gg
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:07 PM
1 mom liked this
The only thing we didn't do is hep. B
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CjEmmemommy
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:07 PM
1 mom liked this
They also give a Heb shot at birth. I skipped all of them
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured