Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Name meanings

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:48 AM
  • 15 Replies

So we found out we're having a boy last week, and we were really liking the name Jonah for a while. Then, I looked up the name meaning and it's associated with bad luck from sailors in biblical times or something. I don't want to mess the poor kid up before he's born by having bad luck! We've had enough of that. This is crazy right? If we like the name, we should use it....

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AidanCamsMom
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:35 AM

I don't worry too much about what names mean. My second ds is named Cameron because I fell in love with the name-it has a not so nice meaning of crooked nose, which he doesn't have LOL

MichaelsMom0711
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:45 AM

If you really like it I think you shoule use it, no one really concentrates on those name meanings anyway. My little guys are/will be Michael which means who is like God and Kevin which means handsome or handsome at birth! I never looked up the meanings til after I decided the names and Michael is named after my grandpa and uncle so that was the real meaning of it for me. I wanted an Irish name for my second and I love Kevin and my SIL actually looked up the meaning of Kevin and told me, otherwise i would still have no idea!

Raeann11
by Platinum Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Don't worry about the meaning. Just pick out what you like.

TTC2Long
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:49 AM
I named our son Jonah! He's 3 weeks old. :) Have you read the Old Testament story of Jonah? It's actually a big part of why I love the name. The biblical Jonah is a major figure in the bible as well as the Koran. I won't go into the meaning (for me) in story of Jonah unless you're interested - if you don't believe in God, it won't have the same meaning and I wouldn't want to bore or annoy you with it. :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Larsbug
by Laura on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:04 PM

I don't even take the meaning into consideration... there are SO many meanings to each name. If you like it, use it.

ImNotKarl
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:16 PM

If you like the name, use it. My son's first name means "barrel maker" and his middle name has biblical ties, but that's not what they meant for us, so we went with it. For us Cooper is a loose reference to Mario, and honestly, Elliott was a spur of the moment choice I made minutes after giving birth, essencially throwing the name we had chosen out the window and giving my husband no time to even react. Birth does weird things.

goddiddlyumshis
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:17 PM
i dont worry about meanings, we just use what we like =)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GoddessNDaRuff
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:32 PM
And that is why I can't use a lot of names. Lol the meanings. Especially common girl names, have fun with the.meanings .

It really depends on you. If you are religious Jonah was a servant of god so it would be a good name. On the other hand he did get swallowed by a whale so that can be seen as bad luck. The upside he survived, so good luck again. All in how you look at it.

My boys names mean World and Intelligence. Lil girl's name means Wind Goddess. (Hmmm....husband messed up the deep symbolic thing I had going and I just noticed it but I'll be damn if we are going back to the drawing board. I'm attached to her name. Oh well)

Some names have awesome meanings but sound crazy. Most people don't know what the names mean anyway so it really doesn't matter. It just depends on how paranoid you are. Lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
EvilAsh
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 1:27 PM

I haven't read the stories, but I do know it's a biblical name in a couple religions. I really like it too, but then I read some story that the name was associated with bringing bad luck to sailors or something like that. I don't know. I never cared about meanings and named our daughter Natalie, which means born at Christmas. She was born in March lol.

Quoting TTC2Long:

I named our son Jonah! He's 3 weeks old. :) Have you read the Old Testament story of Jonah? It's actually a big part of why I love the name. The biblical Jonah is a major figure in the bible as well as the Koran. I won't go into the meaning (for me) in story of Jonah unless you're interested - if you don't believe in God, it won't have the same meaning and I wouldn't want to bore or annoy you with it. :)

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Delta.Dawn
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 2:13 PM

DS1's name is Dane Harley.....Dane has many meanings: dweller in the valley,from Denmark,honorable,God will judge, God is judge. Harley means: Spacious meadow,the hare's clearing. And no his middle name wasn't because of the motorcycle lol that is my grandpa's name. DD's name is Celeste Paige.....Celeste means heavenly,divine and Paige means page, servant.DS2 on the way his name is Asher Damon......Asher means fortunate,blessed,happy and Damon means the one who tames/subdue , of the people.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN