Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

No ultrasound yet...is this normal?

Posted by   + Show Post

I found out I was pregnant when I was about 5 weeks.  I called and scheduled an appointment and saw a nurse at 8 weeks to do bloodwork and confirm the pregnancy.  They scheduled me 3 weeks later with the doctor.  I was almost 13 weeks at this time.  I saw the doctor, she did a PAP, listened for a heartbeat, checked my uterus, said things were good, told me to gain 30lbs, said we would do an ultrasound in 6 weeks and sent me on my way.  Is this normal?  How come everyone seems to be getting ultrasounds and pics of their baby so young and I have to wait until 18 (almost 19) weeks?  This is my first and I was so excited just to see my baby.  I know it's probably petty but I just want to see what's growing inside me. 

by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:19 AM
Replies (11-20):
ambermarie2006
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:27 AM
My doc does not do unnecessary ultrasounds. My 1st was at 22 weeks
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaScho88
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:51 AM

It's pretty normal to not get an ultrasound until 20 weeks if everything is normal and you aren't high risk for any reason and knew ur lmp and everything...sometimes they will schedule a dating ultrasound if you arent sure about your dates so they can give you a due date, and around 12 weeks if you have a early risk assessment test done which is an ultrasound and blood test to see what ur risk is of your baby having downs...every doctor does it differently. I had 3 ultrasounds with all my kids because I was higher risk, one at 6 weeks for dating, one at 12 weeks just to see how baby was growing because I have had a few miscarriages and had progesterone issues with my 3rd and 4th pregnancies, and one at 20 weeks for the routine biophysical profile. I had a 4th ultrasound with my first though at the end of my pregnancy to see how big she was because I was over due.

Married to the love of my life since 12/19/12, Mother to Miliana Elise since 03/03/2005, Ivan Elias since 12/21/08, Cristiano Alessio since 06/22/11, and expecting my little Shadiya Anais on 05/25/13

in lovetoddler girltoddler boytoddler boyexpecting girl

lillucky8
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:57 AM
I had a few with my dd but i had three losses prior, with my son i only had one for the first trimester screening and the anatomy scan
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Stephanie116
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:03 AM
Very normal.

And most insurance companies only pay for one unless medically necessary.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SafariSun
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:08 AM
Do you have health insurance? I know sometimes they won't do anything that isn't 100% needed if you don't. I have a Friend who lost a baby at 38 weeks bcuz they didn't have insurance and the docs weren't doing weekly ultrasounds. The fluid had left the sac and the baby died. If you insist they will do one. I know my insurance covers 3 ultrasound that aren't "medically necessary".
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ame0608
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:14 AM

I'm like this too. I won't get one until 20 weeks unless something seems off. My midwife operates under the assumption that if I'm a low risk pregnancy, let's not do anything to rock the boat. If I wanted one, I could request one. Otherwise, I'll have one around 20 weeks. You should be able to request one if you want one though.

Quoting Raeann11:

Some never get ultrasounds, some get only one, some get a few and some a lot. Depends on each person, Dr/OB/Midwife and what insurances pays for.

I personally don't do them unless necessary. There are risks to ultrasounds.

VintageWife
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:24 AM
I had to have one to date the pregnancy because I never get periods. Then they did one to measure the baby and make sure it was there because the first was early. Then one because they couldn't find the heartbeat and another in a few wks to check measurements and gender and that should be it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
YzmaRocks
by Gold Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:26 AM
Normal. I usually only get one (unless medically necessary) around 20 weeks.
mrssummerlin
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:28 AM
Perfectly normal.

Different doctors do different things and depending on circumstances will really depend how many sonos you get, like high risk pregnancies get them more often then just a normal pregnancy.

I'm 21 weeks and have only had 2. The 1st was to measure baby to date the pregnancy and that was at 6w 4d and 2nd was at 20w 3d for the anatomy scan.
It would have been 3 already, but we don't do any kind of genetic testing so we declined 1 of the sonos.
I think I only get 1 more, maybe, and I'll be doing 1 3d/4d sono for the baby book that I have to pay for out of pocket.

I don't think it's petty to want to see your baby, but now you know that this should maybe be something you ask about with the next pregnancy.
Eternity807
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Thank you everyone!  I feel so much better knowing this is normal.  I have a friend that is pregnant and she has had three ultrasounds already and was shocked that I didn't have one at my 13 week appointment. 

Just out of curiousity, what is the risk of doing an ultrasound?  We will definitely do the one at 18 weeks to determine gender - he has 2 boys already, we are only planning on having one, and he really wants a boy!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)