Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

No ultrasound yet...is this normal?

Posted by   + Show Post

I found out I was pregnant when I was about 5 weeks.  I called and scheduled an appointment and saw a nurse at 8 weeks to do bloodwork and confirm the pregnancy.  They scheduled me 3 weeks later with the doctor.  I was almost 13 weeks at this time.  I saw the doctor, she did a PAP, listened for a heartbeat, checked my uterus, said things were good, told me to gain 30lbs, said we would do an ultrasound in 6 weeks and sent me on my way.  Is this normal?  How come everyone seems to be getting ultrasounds and pics of their baby so young and I have to wait until 18 (almost 19) weeks?  This is my first and I was so excited just to see my baby.  I know it's probably petty but I just want to see what's growing inside me. 

by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:19 AM
Replies (21-30):
CelestialSong
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:34 AM

It's kind of confusing to me why it seems like people are getting ultrasounds at every visit for normal, low-risk pregnancies. Even with my first when I went to an OB for the first 30 weeks, they told me they only do early ultrasounds if you're not sure how far along you are or if you're high risk. This time I'm with very natural minded midwives and the only ultrasound I'll get is the 20 week anatomy scan and that's only if I want it.

pacificamom
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:42 AM

depends on your insurance, the doc...etc. I have had to wait 20 weeks and also had one at the initial prenatal appt.

Ruffnekwife87
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:48 AM
I got one ultrasound at 5 weeks because I was bleeding and they said things looked fine then I got another at 9weeks because I was having bad cramping pains I saw baby moving each one was less then 2 mins long. Then at 15w2d I got an ultrasound done for 45 mins looking at ever part of my baby (but his face because he kept turning away)
There are some doctors that won't even look until 20weeks if nothing is going wrong and they hear a heart beat when they look for one.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Clemency3
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Every Doctor is different. With my first the office did one early on, and then one for the gender, and then one when i was about 30+ weeks. With my second Doctor I only had one to find out the gender and that was it. So, it all depends on where you go in my opinion and if you are hi risk or not. 

notjstanothrmom
by Silver Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 12:06 PM
Early ultrasounds are pretty pointless and are linked to higher rates of miscarriage. I opted out of a first trimester ultrasound and I'm glad I did.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bbyblueAK
by Silver Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 12:39 PM

i had one every appointment

Larsbug
by Laura on Apr. 17, 2013 at 12:47 PM

My doctor does one when you first get pregnant to get an idea of how far along you are for sure, another at 12 weeks, one at 20 and maybe one at 32 if needed.

neslonturf
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Mine always did one at 12 weeks, and one at 20 weeks. Then...because my babies are giant freaks...I had them every 2 weeks from about 20 weeks on. 

princessamber
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 6:41 PM
I've only gotten one ultrasound around that time unless the doc thought something was wrong and most of the time that was after 20 weeks

Quoting Eternity807:

I found out I was pregnant when I was about 5 weeks.  I called and scheduled an appointment and saw a nurse at 8 weeks to do bloodwork and confirm the pregnancy.  They scheduled me 3 weeks later with the doctor.  I was almost 13 weeks at this time.  I saw the doctor, she did a PAP, listened for a heartbeat, checked my uterus, said things were good, told me to gain 30lbs, said we would do an ultrasound in 6 weeks and sent me on my way.  Is this normal?  How come everyone seems to be getting ultrasounds and pics of their baby so young and I have to wait until 18 (almost 19) weeks?  This is my first and I was so excited just to see my baby.  I know it's probably petty but I just want to see what's growing inside me. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SSMama0209
by Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 6:42 PM

It's normal to usually have one at around 20 weeks. Most don't have any done earlier really unless their is a reason for it. With my DD and DS I only had the one ultrasound at 20 weeks. With this little guy I've had 3 so far. One at 10 weeks to rule out twins. One at 20 weeks. One at 32 weeks because he was measuring a month further. And they want to schedule one at 39 weeks just to double check his size (to which my midwife thinks is ridiculous). It all really depends on the doc, but 1-2 is usually the norm.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN