Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

No ultrasound yet...is this normal?

Posted by   + Show Post

I found out I was pregnant when I was about 5 weeks.  I called and scheduled an appointment and saw a nurse at 8 weeks to do bloodwork and confirm the pregnancy.  They scheduled me 3 weeks later with the doctor.  I was almost 13 weeks at this time.  I saw the doctor, she did a PAP, listened for a heartbeat, checked my uterus, said things were good, told me to gain 30lbs, said we would do an ultrasound in 6 weeks and sent me on my way.  Is this normal?  How come everyone seems to be getting ultrasounds and pics of their baby so young and I have to wait until 18 (almost 19) weeks?  This is my first and I was so excited just to see my baby.  I know it's probably petty but I just want to see what's growing inside me. 

by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:19 AM
Replies (31-40):
Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Apr. 17, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Totally normal. I wouldn't have had ultrasounds until 20 weeks myself. But with both pregnancies, they couldn't hear the heartbeat using the doppler at 12 weeks so I had a quick ultrasound just to be sure baby was fine. 

NoraDun
by Platinum Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Because people are impatient and either pay to have it done elsewhere or come up with excuses to have it done. Some Drs will do it to confirm a DD. And of coarse if there is a concern. U/s really aren't nessesary if everything is fine, and they still aren't considered perfectly safe. Some research has determined there is a risk with u/s especially more then the standard 1 or 2.

So anyway it might be hard, but it may be a blessing too. You will get to see your little one soon. Hey back in the good ol days you had to wait 9 mns :) I had two u/s early on for subchorionic bleeding. It was fun to see baby, but I was sad too because we hadn't planned to have it done. Then I have one at 19 wks to make sure baby is growing well. Then Lord willing that will be all!!!

Devious103102
by Ruby Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:36 PM

All depends on your insurance.  Some people are getting earlier u/s's because of complications, some because their ins allows more. 

sp1357
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:47 PM

The reason being is because current studies are inconclusive to whether or not ultrasounds have a negative effect on pregnancies or poses possible risks. As a result you will observe that a lot of midwives and some OBs are not introducing as many u/s as they used to. I'd look at it as a good thing. Its better safe than sorry.

mommyto3121405
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:01 AM

i have only 1 so far at 19 and with my other 2 i had 2-3 . depends on doc . ive had different ob with all three kids

doulala
by Emerald Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Ultrasounds aren't normal, most women don't have them.    You can investigate the reasons you want one to see if it's worth it.   I never do any in my pregnancies, personally,

08Best17Mom09
by Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:28 AM
I get one almost every appointment because he can never find the heartbeat with the doppler. And I've had complications with bleeding and blood pressure this pregnancy
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mommynwife26
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:32 AM
My first ob only did them at 20wks and 38wks. My 2nd ob did one at first appt (I was 6wks) 12wks for down syndrom testing, 20wks for gender/anatomy then that is usually it. I got more cause all of a sudden she stopped growing (stomach went from 1wk ahead to 2wks behind and at 20wks she measured 18wks). I got them done at 23, 26, 29, 32, 36 and 38wks. But if I had opted out of the Ds test and measured normal I would have only gotten 2.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mamaanl
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 1:16 AM

With my first and with this one now I had an ultrasound done at my first appointment.  I thought all doctors did this to make sure the baby was in the sac and all that good stuff.  I guess everyone is different though.

1hotmama87
by Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 1:28 AM

I think it depends on the doctor, mine does a routine ultrasound at the 8 week appointment to make sure dates are right etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)