Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

No ultrasound yet...is this normal?

Posted by   + Show Post

I found out I was pregnant when I was about 5 weeks.  I called and scheduled an appointment and saw a nurse at 8 weeks to do bloodwork and confirm the pregnancy.  They scheduled me 3 weeks later with the doctor.  I was almost 13 weeks at this time.  I saw the doctor, she did a PAP, listened for a heartbeat, checked my uterus, said things were good, told me to gain 30lbs, said we would do an ultrasound in 6 weeks and sent me on my way.  Is this normal?  How come everyone seems to be getting ultrasounds and pics of their baby so young and I have to wait until 18 (almost 19) weeks?  This is my first and I was so excited just to see my baby.  I know it's probably petty but I just want to see what's growing inside me. 

by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:19 AM
Replies (41-50):
1stTimeMom1982
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:54 PM
That's normal 18-20 wks. If you get certain scans you get on at 12 wks. Other then that your dr is right. Every practice is different though
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
hot_momma633
by Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 1:01 PM
I had 3 ultrasounds my first at 13 weeks my second at 19 weeks and my last the day before I went into labor. my doctor was concerned that I didn't have enough amniotic fluid and my blood pressure was up bit.
MMerrill
by Melissa on Apr. 18, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Most women only get about 2 ultrasounds, one to comfirm and one anatomy, unless there is something wrong. It also depends on what your insurance covers.  I wouldn't be too worried but you could always call and talk to them about it.

wedding countdown

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

LuvMommysBabies
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 3:21 PM
I'm 15 weeks and have had 3 or 4 ultrasounds...but i'm high risk. But even with my first pregnancy i had a few ultrasound.
tyrelsmom
by Silver Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 3:28 PM
The one usually done at about 13 weeks is to take a measurement on the neck as part of down's syndrome testing. If you've either decided to opt out of all genetic testing or are getting the amnio regardless, it's completely unnecessary. I won't be getting an ultrasound until about 20 weeks.
It has been linked to higher rates of miscarriage, causing cavitation in the fetal tissue, heating the amniotic fluid, among other things. I prefer to limit my baby's exposure to ultrasound.

Quoting Eternity807:

Thank you everyone!  I feel so much better knowing this is normal.  I have a friend that is pregnant and she has had three ultrasounds already and was shocked that I didn't have one at my 13 week appointment. 

Just out of curiousity, what is the risk of doing an ultrasound?  We will definitely do the one at 18 weeks to determine gender - he has 2 boys already, we are only planning on having one, and he really wants a boy!

HisB0107
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 3:32 PM

A lot of doc offices won't do one until the anatomy screening around 20 weeks, which is about when you're going in. They must believe that your due date based off of LMP is accurate. Usually when they're unsure of due date, they'll do an u/s. Do you have another appointment before your scheduled u/s 6 weeks from now? If so, don't be afraid to request one. Tell them this is your first, that you're excited and you thought you would get a first trimester u/s.

mybabiesmama916
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 7:15 PM

I think it depends on your insurance and maybe doctor. I had different insurance with my last two and no ultrasound until the gender one. This time I have had 4 ultrasounds so far.

VintageWife
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 7:17 PM
Insurance won't cover extra. I get more than one because of my fertility problem and lack of periods.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CelestialSong
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Totally normal. I didn't even know ultrasounds other than the anatomy scan around 20 weeks were common until CafeMom. With my first baby, even with a very medical OB, my first ultrasound was 21 weeks.

wolfybaby
by Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 7:25 PM

the less radiation you blast into your body and your babys body, the better. i would never consider doing more than one ultrasound during a pregnancy. and that is only because i dont want to wait to know the sex of the baby; i need to prepare!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)