Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

No ultrasound yet...is this normal?

Posted by   + Show Post

I found out I was pregnant when I was about 5 weeks.  I called and scheduled an appointment and saw a nurse at 8 weeks to do bloodwork and confirm the pregnancy.  They scheduled me 3 weeks later with the doctor.  I was almost 13 weeks at this time.  I saw the doctor, she did a PAP, listened for a heartbeat, checked my uterus, said things were good, told me to gain 30lbs, said we would do an ultrasound in 6 weeks and sent me on my way.  Is this normal?  How come everyone seems to be getting ultrasounds and pics of their baby so young and I have to wait until 18 (almost 19) weeks?  This is my first and I was so excited just to see my baby.  I know it's probably petty but I just want to see what's growing inside me. 

by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:19 AM
Replies (51-59):
connorsmama06
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 7:26 PM

My ob will do it between 18-20 weeks

rjmac88
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 7:51 PM
It's normal. I had never even HEARD of a confirmation u/s in the first trimester until my 3rd baby! And still I've yet to have one and I'm pregnant with #4
Bethbeth
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 8:56 PM

my first u/s was at 20 weeks. I think people expect them to be done way too much these days, especially since the dangers of them are unknown.

zombiemommy7
by Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 9:20 PM
My dr doesnt like to send his patients for u/s unless there is a concern.
cheetah90210
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 10:38 PM
every doctor is different but in your first trimester your only suppose to see the dr once a month
nhscougar73200
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:12 PM

this is my second pregnancy and both times i have had an ultrasound the first time i go to the doctor to confirm the pregnancy, but maybe its just different with each doctors office. your not too far away it will be here soon enough

SimplyEnchanted
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:13 PM
My doctor does one us at 18 weeks unless they suspect something wrong
A-WAHL
by Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:19 PM
I had my first at 7 weeks to confirm my pregnancy. We have had 5 or so after that because I had a Hemorrhage and they wanted to monitor it. I wonder if you asked for one they would give you one?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FinchsMommy
by Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 8:01 AM
There are general 3 ultrasounds for a non-complicated pregnancy, two are optional and usually cost out of pocket. The first is optional at 12 weeks to test for Down's syndrome and other chromosomal disorders(your insurance may cover this in full, in part or not at all). The second is between 18-20 weeks which usually measures anatomical features and gestational size, this is the 'normal' ultrasound that most all mothers get. The 3rd is also optional and usually costs out of pocket (125.00) for a 3D/4D ultrasound at like 28 or more weeks.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN