Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

sleep disorder while pregnant

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 8:04 AM
  • 10 Replies
So I know I have slight depression, I went to my doctors yesterday about it. I chose not to get on meds, I just don't feel comfortable with it.
Anyway, I have been having sleeping problems. I will go to sleep, be asleep but my brain will still be thinking and fully aware of all my surroundings. I wake up and my head is freaking killing me. Its like my anxiety keeps me awake at night. Like ill be having dreams but I will still be awake, and anything I think about can turn into a dream.
Is this REM sleep? Does anyone else experience this? I don't know what to do, I wake up so much at night.
I'm going to try to take some tylenol pm tonight. My doc said I could.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 8:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
itann
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 10:08 AM
I had that in my entire pregnancy (& still having it in 37 wks). First trimester was way worse cause it ws a lot of stress especially whn I had to quit the job bcz of pregnancy complications. DH had to work double to balance my contribution in finance & we both weren't ready for a baby. I cried a lot in my 1st trimester & alws had nightmares abt having complications with my pregnancy or somebody's taking my baby away from me. Nightmares became less once I started feeling my baby move. But I still can't sleep at night & like u whenevr I try to close my eyes, thousands of things start dancing in my preggo brain. Not fun at all as I know this is my last chance. Once I have the baby, I'll hv sleepless nights anyway :(
kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 10:12 PM
bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lovemybaby551
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 10:15 PM

I am having that problem too. Ive been taking tylenol pm it helps me sleep sometimes ill still have dreams on it though

Mihapka
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 10:52 PM
I am having that exact same problem. Either I am laying awake all night, or my sleep is so shallow and my dreams so vivid that I wake up feeling more tired than when I went to sleep. I have heard that this is pretty common, especially in the 3rd trimester. Also, depression contributes a lot to dreams and can cause you to think yourself out of going to sleep, if you know what I mean. I'm sure you do. I feel slightly depressed as well, but don't want to go on meds. I'm sure that it just is hormones and stress. But it really doesn't help to feel like you're never getting any sleep. My advice is to sleep WHENEVER you can. And I mean that if you feel like you can sleep at 1 am, and you aren't at work or anything, to go ahead and do it. Just get sleep when you can. Trust me, I've never been someone to sleep in the day, but lately I've had to resort to it to get any sleep at all.
AmericanChild82
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 12:21 AM
This exactly. I do NOT sleep well at night and I'm up at 4 am everyday. When I get home which is around 630am, I lay back down and sometimes it's easier for me to sleep when I don't have to share the bed. I'll tell ya though the dreams I've been having are insane. So much detail about the most random and off the wall things that wake me up in a complete panic.
Quoting Mihapka:

I am having that exact same problem. Either I am laying awake all night, or my sleep is so shallow and my dreams so vivid that I wake up feeling more tired than when I went to sleep. I have heard that this is pretty common, especially in the 3rd trimester. Also, depression contributes a lot to dreams and can cause you to think yourself out of going to sleep, if you know what I mean. I'm sure you do. I feel slightly depressed as well, but don't want to go on meds. I'm sure that it just is hormones and stress. But it really doesn't help to feel like you're never getting any sleep. My advice is to sleep WHENEVER you can. And I mean that if you feel like you can sleep at 1 am, and you aren't at work or anything, to go ahead and do it. Just get sleep when you can. Trust me, I've never been someone to sleep in the day, but lately I've had to resort to it to get any sleep at all.
Mihapka
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 12:29 AM
My fiancé works until 4 am, and I find it so much easier to sleep when he is not there for some reason, which is used to be the exact opposite. Dreams are usually really vivid and just plain freaky. I guess a good way of thinking about it is that it's just preparing you for the baby to be keeping you up at all hours of the night! Haha that's how I look at it!

Quoting AmericanChild82:

This exactly. I do NOT sleep well at night and I'm up at 4 am everyday. When I get home which is around 630am, I lay back down and sometimes it's easier for me to sleep when I don't have to share the bed. I'll tell ya though the dreams I've been having are insane. So much detail about the most random and off the wall things that wake me up in a complete panic.
Quoting Mihapka:

AirForceWife13
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 12:31 AM
I have problems sleeping and was worse during pregnancy. I just had my doc up my dose of ambien and i did finally sleep better.
crazylady22
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Hey girl. I am 34 wks preggo & I have not had a good night sleep since I was about 3 mo along. B4 I found out I was pregnant I was being treated & taking meds 4 both depression & anxiety. I was doing rather well too but when I found out I was preggers my docs told me that I could not take my meds anymore & went off of them cold turkey. Not 2 mention that I was also taking meds 4 sleeping - if I did not tke them I could not sleep- I went off these cold turkey 2. Pretty hard but did it. No sleep is the pits. Into my 7th mo. my docs offered me meds & I choose not 2 go on them either. I am trying 2 hold off till my due date 5/27. I feel like I am going crazy cause so sleep deprived. But almost there. Sorry not much help- just wanted u 2 kno u r not alone. Hope the Tylenol pm helped :) let me kno if u ever need 2 talk...

AmericanChild82
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 1:30 AM
No kidding right. I had a dream last night about a tornado, which for me is common, but in my dream I yelled at the damn thing and it disappeared. The other day I dreamt my brother and his gf got pregnant, had a little girl and gave her the name I picked. I was pissed when I woke up.

Quoting Mihapka:

My fiancé works until 4 am, and I find it so much easier to sleep when he is not there for some reason, which is used to be the exact opposite. Dreams are usually really vivid and just plain freaky. I guess a good way of thinking about it is that it's just preparing you for the baby to be keeping you up at all hours of the night! Haha that's how I look at it!

Quoting AmericanChild82:

Quoting Mihapka:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kbear1992
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 2:31 AM
I can't sleep at all I won't fall asleep until about 2-3 in the morning and will wake up about 8-9 :/ at 36 weeks its so not enough sleep and I can't sleep at all like last night I feel asleep but don't remember sleeping but my df said I was out like a light :/ wtf I don't get it my dr says its normal and to take a Benadryl to help me sleep
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN