Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Engagement in second pregnancy

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 10:20 AM
  • 9 Replies
I have read on numerous websites that in second pregnancies babies typically do not engage until labor.However, my DS has already begun to engage, as confirmed by the doctor. I know that babies can engage, "float" back out, then engage again.My question is..DS1 was born at 35 weeks. Does this mean DS2 will be born early as well? I am currently 31 weeks and just curious how this works, as it's been four years since my last pregnancy.
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 10:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
MrsHill12
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 10:35 AM
I'm sorry I have no idea what your talking about.. However I understand ur last question (possibly) if u have a child early as far as I know it doesn't mean your others will b early but I think that docs will just watch for possibility of having it early.. Doesn't mean you WILL ... This is what I kind of think sorry I can't b more help
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bananacreamp598
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 11:02 AM
Quoting MrsHill12:

I'm sorry I have no idea what your talking about.. However I understand ur last question (possibly) if u have a child early as far as I know it doesn't mean your others will b early but I think that docs will just watch for possibility of having it early.. Doesn't mean you WILL ... This is what I kind of think sorry I can't b more help

Engagement means that the baby starts to settle head down in to the pelvis in preparation for birth.
MrsHill12
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 11:06 AM
Oh lmao sorry!!

Quoting bananacreamp598:

Quoting MrsHill12:

Engagement means that the baby starts to settle head down in to the pelvis in preparation for birth.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Devious103102
by Platinum Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 11:07 AM

You could but doesn't mean you will. GL!

meam4444
by Emerald Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 11:11 AM
I have heard that if one baby is born early there is a chance the other baby may follow suite. But, there is always a chance it may not follow suite too. I think best bet is just to keep an eye out for any signs which it seems you have been doing. As far as baby not engaging until labor, my second pregnancy was the one where she was engaged and ready to go at 32 weeks. Good luck!
bananacreamp598
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 11:20 AM
Quoting meam4444:

I have heard that if one baby is born early there is a chance the other baby may follow suite. But, there is always a chance it may not follow suite too. I think best bet is just to keep an eye out for any signs which it seems you have been doing. As far as baby not engaging until labor, my second pregnancy was the one where she was engaged and ready to go at 32 weeks.
Good luck!

I was told that if I started having contractions (the real ones, not the practice BH) ten minutes apart, to go in to L and D. I didn't even think to ask yesterday in my slight panic..would that mean I was going in to labor at that point? TIA!
meam4444
by Emerald Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 11:48 AM

If this does happen, it doesn't mean you will be going into full-blown-labor so to speak.  It could be caused due to lack of hydration, UTI, etc..  Sometimes an IV can stop the contractions/pre-term labor; other times, medication will be used. 

It never hurts to give you OB/midwife a call too, if you have any concerns at all.

Quoting bananacreamp598:

Quoting meam4444:

I have heard that if one baby is born early there is a chance the other baby may follow suite. But, there is always a chance it may not follow suite too. I think best bet is just to keep an eye out for any signs which it seems you have been doing. As far as baby not engaging until labor, my second pregnancy was the one where she was engaged and ready to go at 32 weeks.
Good luck!

I was told that if I started having contractions (the real ones, not the practice BH) ten minutes apart, to go in to L and D. I didn't even think to ask yesterday in my slight panic..would that mean I was going in to labor at that point? TIA!

Momof5kids84
by Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 12:23 PM

I'm not sure if my baby has engaged or not, but he's certainly dropped.  He's very low, but I have had 5 kids previously and I've never gone passed 36 weeks.  There is nothing guaranteed that you'll deliver at 35 weeks again. There is only a 17% chance of that happening again. 

Wife to a wonderful man, and mother to five beautiful children. :)

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
ivansmommy6911
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 10:56 PM

My son was Engag at 30 weeks but i didnt have him til 41 weeks. So yeah

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured