Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

low platelet count @ 28 weeks

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 4:07 PM
  • 8 Replies
hi everyone. I did my 1-hour glucose test on Wednesday, which I failed. when the nurse called she also said that I have a low platelet count, I believe she said my # was like 60 or something but I can't remember exactly - it was a lot of unexpected news to take in all at once. she couldn't give me a lot of info so I've been waiting all day to hear back from the doctor. just wondering if anyone has any insight on this and what it means or could mean? I'm freaking myself out!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 4:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
sfank
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Usually that means you're anemic and just need to start an iron suppliment. Your baby takes what it needs from you so s/he should be just fine.

GoddessNDaRuff
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 4:19 PM

platelets help you clot. Not having enough can cause you to bleed to death, especially during childbirth. You may need a transfusion before the birth.

angevil53
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 4:21 PM
You'll need iron and to drink lots of water and eat some green leafy vegetables like broccoli and spinach etc. If your platelet count doesn't go up they can deny you an epidural.
GoddessNDaRuff
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 4:26 PM

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/thrombocytopenia/DS00691/DSECTION=treatments-and-drugs

Here ya go. It seems if it's a mild case it clears up on it's own after birth. So maybe nothing to worry about

MommyBL
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 5:12 PM

does having low iron have something to do with your blood clotting? everything I'm reading just says that it has to do with my blood not being able to clot. I don't want an epidural anyways so that is not a big deal. I'm more concerned about other things because I've read that I might need to be induced or something. My doctor hasn't called me back yet so I'm thinking I'll have to wait until Monday now to hear from her.

Quoting angevil53:

You'll need iron and to drink lots of water and eat some green leafy vegetables like broccoli and spinach etc. If your platelet count doesn't go up they can deny you an epidural.

~ Bethany ~

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Maternity tickers

MommyBL
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Thanks. I'm not really worried about after I have the baby, I'm more concerned about what this means for the rest of my pregnancy and delivery.

Quoting GoddessNDaRuff:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/thrombocytopenia/DS00691/DSECTION=treatments-and-drugs

Here ya go. It seems if it's a mild case it clears up on it's own after birth. So maybe nothing to worry about

~ Bethany ~

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Maternity tickers

angevil53
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 5:16 PM
Yes but thankfully your dr can get it under control before ld. You still have awhile. He'll watch it.

Quoting MommyBL:

does having low iron have something to do with your blood clotting? everything I'm reading just says that it has to do with my blood not being able to clot. I don't want an epidural anyways so that is not a big deal. I'm more concerned about other things because I've read that I might need to be induced or something. My doctor hasn't called me back yet so I'm thinking I'll have to wait until Monday now to hear from her.

Quoting angevil53:

MommyBL
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 9:05 PM
BUMP!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured