Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Refused by a obgyn because of BMI

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 3:36 AM
  • 57 Replies

So I am 7 weeks pregnant and searched long and hard for an obgyn with a great reputation in my town. I have three other children and the midwife that I used for my other babies retired so I had no other choice but to find someone else this time around. So once I thought I found the perfect one I called them up. The lady on the phone asked me a series of questions and then told me that the nurse would call me shortly. When the nurse called she tells me "Unfortunately we can't accept you as a patient because your BMI is too high." I immediatly was in shock and just hung up and began bawling. I am by no means a tiny girl at 5' 7'' 245 pounds and a BMI of 38....but this is the first time I have felt almost discriminated against because of my weight (from a doctor no less). So once I dried up my tears, reminded myself that my body is beautiful, and I jumped on google and I researched why this could have happened. What I found out is that especially in my state (Florida) there has been a large mass of obgyn's refusing obese women because they have an increased percent chance of having complications during pregnancy and delivery. So of course I can't deny that being true but at the same time I don't feel it's fair to automatically write off obese woman because either they are lazy and don't want to deal with any extra complications (that they are perfectly trained and capable of handling) or they are trying to avoid any possible malpractice lawsuits in case something does go wrong (if they are doing their job correctly than their should be no lawsuit in the first place). Being obese does not automatically mean you are high risk. I can understand that if further along in the pregnancy, if a health problem presented itself to put you in the high risk catagory and then deciding it is safer to switch to a high risk doctor. That seems like a more reasonable solution. So anyways I'm still on the search for a doctor and hoping this won't become an issue again. I'm also curious if this has happened to any other moms on here and/or any of you have an opinion on this? Thanks ladies!

Caitlyn

by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 3:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
your_angel
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 4:03 AM
1 mom liked this
Wtf!?! I have never heard of a doctor doing that that's ridiculous! First of all do not let that get you down. The doctor is clearly not confident in her own skills otherwise they wouldn't fear taking an obese woman in as a patient. Second, like you said you're beautiful no matter what anyone's else says or thinks.
That shocks me though as well! I've heard doctors say some wild stuff but never that.
I really hope you are able to find another REPUTABLE Ob that will offer you great care throughout your pregnancy :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
cjsix
by Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 4:11 AM
3 moms liked this

Call your midwife that you worked with during your previous pregnancies. See if she can help you find someone who is practicing nearby and will take you. She may even be willing to offer some back up as to how your previous pregnancies were etc...

Loveavision
by Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 4:16 AM
1 mom liked this
Wow, that's really a hint of how great this OB is! Be glad they didn't take you!
mishamama
by Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 4:23 AM
D:

Oh my gosh, I am so sorry that happened to you. I have a friend in Florida who's doctor is constantly on her because of weight gain- Let me tell you that she is 135 pounds and has only gained about 22, she is also 7 months pregnant. Some doctors are ridiculous!
I think in this case maybe it worked out best, he probably is under qualified and not confident in his skills to turn away a woman for something so ridiculous.

That being said, I hope you find a good doctor!!!
bellawomen
by Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 4:28 AM
2 moms liked this
I agree with the other poster, contact your previous midwife and ask for some references. You might also contact some doulas in your area for some references and also some support. It is early to hire a doula, but hopefully you can find one to help you out.
-Mommy-2-Three-
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 4:32 AM
1 mom liked this

That is ludicrous, I would have had choice words for that nurse/doctor, how rude & IMO that is discrimination 100%! Having a baby isn't like insurance, you dont get regected because of health risks, you have to have that baby one way or another & if you are at higher risk for complications than you just need a trained medical professional THAT much more to make sure you & baby are safe. That is just shameful. I plan to be an Obstetrics Physician one day & I am appaulled by the ethics displayed. If I were you I wouldn't want a doctor like that regardless so I hope you find one that is a good fit for you hun.

Mrs.Pedro
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 4:35 AM
I have not heard of this, but I can't say it surprises me. Be happy that he decided not to take you, because it may just be an indication of skill(or lack thereof!). I agree with po about seeing if your retired midwife can help you with finding out a place to go to. And just keep looking! They can't all deny you :) GL!
NDADanceMom
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 7:53 AM
No, i am heavy too and my ob said it would be better if i lost weight when i was ttc but she also said it was fine to go for it right away. Maybe your best approach would have been to check out doctors while ttc?
Xo.LOVES.Xo
by Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 8:03 AM

Wow that's ridiculous! I'm sorry you had to deal with that

natural_s
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 11:11 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm like some of the other posters I have never heard of such a thing and I would have been mad too. I especially never heard of having to answer a questionnaire over the phone, it's either yes your accepting new patients or no your not. If anything you should have been the only one asking questions to see if they met your standards.

Even though I know it hurt your feelings (mine would have been hurt), look at it as a Blessing in disguise, because I would not want some idiot practice like that even touching my body let alone in charge of my pregnancy care. Your too good for their business, keep searching someone out there has to not be that ignorant.

Seems like doctor needs to go back to medical school, lol.

Good luck with your search.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)