Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

What do i do about conflicting views on baby shower?

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 10:03 PM
  • 37 Replies
1 mom liked this
So im due in august and will be having baby shower in june or july and were planning on having it at my boyfriends moms house and im trying to get my mom and his mom to compromise about the baby shower because they both want to be apart of it, and i think thats cool, and i dont really want to plan the whole thing by myself because thats not how its supposed to go , thats like asking for gifts, and im pretty traditional myself, but iv come upon a problem. His mom is traditional as well and wants it to be strictly women, because well its tradition. A baby shower is supposed to women, and planned by the elders. But, my moms insisting that her fiance come, because she says she wants him to come because hes my step dad and i dont want to hurt anyones feelings and i think it would be cool if he came but i also like to be traditional too and do things the way they have and are supposed to be. My moms view is he has to come, and because his mom is insisting it be only women that she isnt compromising , advice please?? I dont really know what to do or uhhh lol idk
CafeMom Tickers
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 10:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brittany208
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 10:19 PM
2 moms liked this

you could make a one person exception, i suppose. in my family, we do girls nights once a month, but one of the DHs is allowed bc he plays cabana boy and makes us all drinks lol. if you gave him a job like grill-master or waiter for all the ladies, it wouldnt be so weird. or if it was at their house, then he could just kind of be there and again, not  be as weird.

Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Apr. 20, 2013 at 11:33 PM

Besides talking it over gently with them, there isn't much you should do. You should sit back and let them figure it out and not worry about it. It will all work out fine in the end, no matter what they decide to do.

Racheldp20
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 12:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Perhaps just kindly ask to come to a compromise and that you'd really appreciate if they were both kind and compromising...they should work it out between themselves, you should not have to be in the middle of that mess, sorry. 

SarahMommie
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:05 AM

I would tell her he could come and that be the only guy you invite...  I just had a baby shower and dh step dad wanted to be there and he did come but felt very akward and ended up going in a seperate room eventually a room full of women make any man uncomfortable lol expecially because my friends also bought things like condoms.. pads... bra's.. and put them in my gifts=D

Autumn19
by Ruby Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:29 AM

i dont know. just tell your mil that hes going. or else he could end up just showing up the day of.

mommytobee19
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 2:36 PM

okay thanks everyone , im just gonna let them handle it im just afraid if i dont really say anything there might not be a baby shower but ill just step back and let them handle it

pacificamom
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 3:30 PM

have you expressed your opinion to both of them...since it's your shower?

Quoting mommytobee19:

okay thanks everyone , im just gonna let them handle it im just afraid if i dont really say anything there might not be a baby shower but ill just step back and let them handle it

CafeMom Tickers
kelly617
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 3:53 PM

I had guys at mine....well three...my dh, my dad and then my best friend's dh
I don't think it took away from the "tradition" at all
If its guy you want at the party dont' exclude them just because tradition says to...if you want your step dad there have him there...you'll never regret having him involved but you might regret NOT having him there

Devious103102
by Ruby Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 4:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Personally I never got the women only showers. In our families everyone comes to the showers (men, women & kids) and we all have a great time. They're also surprises planned by the family.

mommytobee19
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Thats pretty cool, no i mean i dont know i think having everyone at my shower would be cool, but its going to be at my boyfriends moms house so like.. her house, her rules. and we dont really have any space to do it anywhere else and no i havent expressed my opinion about that because no asked me what i wanted they just said hes your step dad he should be there kinda pressuring me into it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)