Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

IV pain meds instead of Epi??

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 11:49 AM
  • 16 Replies

So I'm just curious about experiences people have had with the IV pain killers rather than getting an Epi. What was your pain level with just the IV meds? Were there downfalls to them? If you liked the Epi more, why??

by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 11:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mewebb82
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 11:51 AM
The IV pain meds did nothing for my pain level, but did make me vomit nonstop for an hour. I had a much better experience with the epi. I was able to relax a little during all the excitement and only felt pressure but not really any pain.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
DACIA79
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 11:52 AM
I hear the narcotics can make you more nauseated and tired and have more effect on the baby also they dont last as long but I've never used them.
angevil53
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 11:53 AM
I had an epi with dd and helped sooo much. The connection broke and i was in horrible pain but after they fixed it was fine again. I didn't like that they act like you can't walk etc and the cath sucks.

With ds it was natural (they placed the epi but never turned it on) and was pretty terrible pain. But no catheter and up and going when you want.

As far as pain meds in your iv it's fine by me but i never had them. But i wouldn't call it a natural birth if you use anything to control pain.
JadeTigr7
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I've never had an epi.  

Pain meds made me high.  

I prefer laboring without drugs of any kind. 

Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:26 PM

The narcotics they give you in the IV will make you high as a kite. I've had IV meds for something else (not related to pregnancy/birth) and I started having a very rapid heartbeat, lightheadedness, nausea.. basically the symptoms of being high on pain pills. 

yummypeaches
by Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:31 PM

My labor was 30 hours long. I tried so hard to have her natural but about 18 hours in I broke down and consented to the IV pain killers. They "took the edge off" so to speak but didn't really do much for me. They made me really drowsy and loopy. At hour 26 of my labor I was still only 2 cm dilated so they told me if I didn't get an epidural they would do a c-section. I got the epi and immediately fell asleep. Woke up 2 hours later fully dilated, pushed for another 2 hours and finally had my dd. While I regret not having the natural birth I wanted, the epidural gave my body the chance to relax and dilate since it wasn't able to do that on its own for some reason. I am 32 weeks along now and hopefully my next birth goes much smoother!

brittany208
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 1:37 PM

I never had an epi. I had nubain, which was supposed to just take the edge off. It seriously made me sleep for two hours of my labor. I woke up right before it was time to push.

Hoping to go all natural this time, though.

forsakenjewl24
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 2:26 PM

iv did nothing for my pain made me start to not breath though. lol i got tired and my bodys everything slowed down...once that wore off. i was able to have my epidural that was amazing and helped so much more and didn't make me almost stop breathing.

pregnancy

babies
RhondaVeggie
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 2:31 PM
I had them when I was induced during a second trimester miscarriage and they made me nuts. They did the IV dose first then when they put it in my muscle I screamed. It hurt but not that much, I just had no inhibitions.
Emilytrademark
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 2:32 PM

My doula says they are not worth it - in her opinion, anyway. They give you a really "drugged up" feeling and make you nauseated, and the same effects go to the baby. She said that it might take the edge off but would not eliminate your pain. I would probably opt for an epidural before doing IV pain meds. I've not had any before, though, so I don't have first hand experience. Going drug-free this time around

BabyFruit Ticker
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)