Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Would you let your 3 year old in the room for the birth of his brother?

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 7:27 PM
  • 71 Replies

My husband and I think that it will help him to understand where the baby in the belly has come from.  We don't  intend on letting him see anything gruesome but at least be a part of the experience. What are your thoughts?

by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 7:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Selinalinaa
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 7:30 PM

I don't see anything wrong with it. But honestly he prolly won't even remember when he's older granted that the mind doesn't start storing memory til at least 4 years of age.

Clemency3
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 7:30 PM

I think if that is what you want then by all means. In terms of him "remembering" and being able to take something from it, he might still be too young for that. But it can't hurt to just have him in there for the experience. My other worry is, would he be stressing inside from seeing you in pain, or just pushing alone, it could be a bit too much. Just a couple of things to think about. In the end it is your choice :)

YzmaRocks
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 8:26 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't see a problem with it but my three year old would never make it. My advice? Make sure you have someone there to watch him and take him out of the room if necessary. That way you won't have to worry about him if he gets antsy or bored or scared.
SarahMommie
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 8:29 PM

He could very well remember it.  I had an aunt pass away when I was 2.5 and I can remember it very very vividly as I was sitting on her lap and was rushed to the hospital with her... Anyhow I personally would not only because my 5 and 3 year old would be terrified and I wouldnt want to deal with nightmares after I get back home with the baby.. It can be a big bloody mess when you deliver lol I do know some people though who have if you think your kid can handle it I say go for it!!

BethRae
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 8:33 PM
I've contemplated this with my 4yr old daughter. She's watched a few birthing shows with me and she gets so excited when the babies are born. I just worry she will get scared when it's me and she sees the blood. So we will pry just have her leave the room but if she was a bit bigger I wouldn't even hesitate
Larsbug
by Laura on Apr. 23, 2013 at 8:34 PM

I personally wouldn't

lillucky8
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 8:43 PM
I wouldnt. I didnt let my two yr old at the hospital. She only came with my parents to visit us. I think it would have scared her to see me in pain.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommabearbergh
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 8:46 PM
My dd who will be six will be there to see her sister born. We have prepared her. I am not sure how you can prepare a three year old.
NoraDun
by Platinum Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 8:53 PM

When I delivered my daughter at home my oldest was 5 and my youngest was 21 mns. They both were right there with me. (I did prepare them that Mommy would be in a lot of pain before baby came and that it was normal and ok. I explained I could even scream or cry. They never seemed scared, my oldest did pretend to talk on the phone to his friend. I heard him as I was pushing say "Mommy is in a lot of pain but our sister will be here in just a minute" They did have tv on in the other room so they could escape if they got uncomfortable but they enjoyed watching Mommy. My 5 yr old remembers most of it. He still asks me when we are gonna get the birthing ball because he remembers me using it during the pregnancy and especially during the delivery. He talks about the birth often and he asks me all the time if he can be there for this baby. This time around he will be 8, my second will be 5, and my daughter will be 3.

I am planning to have them right there with me during this birth. I will have snacks planned for them and my 8 yr old will be given rules to give those snacks to his brother and sister when they ask. I will have their favorite educational shows on in the living room on the opposite side of the house. So if they want to avoid Mommy they can, but if they want to climb in the tub with me they will be able too LOL. I am also gonna have cameras available for them so they can all feel involved by taking pics!!

heathermarie23
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 8:56 PM

I wanted my 3 year old with me... but the hospital wouldn't allow it.  I had let him watch videos and told him about it... he understands but I think it would have been nice if he was there.  :-(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN