Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

I watched A Baby Story today (Not normal for me but it was a natural birth at a birthing center) but the birthing mother pushed for 2 1/2 hrs. And my Hubby who walked in just in time to hear that said "OMG 2 1/2 hrs" So I am curious, what where your pushing experiences? How long did it take you?? Do you believe their was a reason it took you less or more time to push baby out?

I stepped in as a Doula for a lady from church and she pushed for a good 45 min. In her case she just wasn't pushing right. She was pushing everywhere but in her bottom. Once she began pushing correctly she had her son out in about 10 min.

by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:29 PM
Replies (31-40):
kLynch315
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Baby was pretty much came on her own lol I think I pushed a few times. Baby #2 was out in 3 pushes. Baby #3 took 30 minutes to push out. 

norahsmommy
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 4:25 PM
10 minutes, 5 minutes, 17 minutes and 20 minutes. Those last two felt like hours. I couldn't imagine pushing for actual hours. My third had her shoulder hooked on a remnant of my cervix. She tore my cervix on the way out. My son was turned funny and that's why it took a while.
Diatech12
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 4:30 PM

5 pushes for #1

3 pushes for #2 (and he was just under 10lbs)

MandyT1021
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 4:40 PM
Labored for 21 hrs...pushed for 3..and ended with emergency csection. No pushimg this time around going in for a scheduled section.
Raeann11
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 5:13 PM

1st - 30 mins

2nd 20mins (If I had not had the epidural. I know it would have been shorter. I could not tell where to push the first 15 mins. Once the nurse touched that area. Then I did and she as so surprised how fast baby came)

3rd - 8 mins or three pushs - I let most of my body do the work till the last three. I felt like I needed to push.

louzannalady
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 5:29 PM

You don't HAVE to push! Your body is equipped with a thing called "fetus ejection reflex". I saw that one, I believe. She was numb from the epidural and it was coached pushing. If you are not numb and you follow the cues that your body and baby are ready, then you won't need coaching and it won't take two and half hours. Just because you are a ten, doesn't mean it's time to push. And just because you are NOT at a ten, doesn't mena that it's NOT time to push! Lol! : ) That is one of at least five reasons off the top of my head, that I tell moms to not consent to vaginal exams before or during birth (unless there is an absolute need, which happens less than 1% of the time). 

http://www.wombecology.com/?pg=fetusejection 

louzannalady
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Oh and my first, I was numb and purple pushing. It was about 20-30 minutes. I tore a quarter of an inch and was sore as heck. My second. I just breathed through the contractions and my body did the work. No one was yelling at me counting or anything of the sort. I had a water birth the second time around, so I felt everything. He was bigger than my first and I did not tear at all! : ) I wasn't even sore. : ) 

Kellileanne
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Both were maybe less than 30min, one was only 10min.  My second we waited even though I was fully dialated we let my uterus push her further down and it went so fast!  It was nice, with both girls I was fully dialated for a good 20-30min before pushing. 

Rae09
by Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 5:37 PM
My first was 2 1/2 hours. Second was 12 min
I think because my first was 9lbs 11oz. Second was 8lbs 3oz. I feel size was why mine were so different. Or because I was really active with my 2nd and not with my first.
ImNotKarl
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 5:40 PM

I didn't have to push long at all. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)