Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

A little rant, if you will. I can't believe this!

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:48 PM
  • 13 Replies

My first son was born 4 years ago, at 35 weeks. I had developed PIH (high blood pressure), which apparently my doctor had been tracking during the three previous appointments but never felt the need to alert me too. I am so grateful for my little boy. I love that child so, so much. But I hated the entire experience of his labor and delivery because I barely remember any of it (I was put on magnesium). Well now, I am currently pregnant with my second son. I decided to go back to the same doctor, giving her the benefit of the doubt, hoping things this time would be different...and they weren't. I went with my sis to her doc's appointment today..did you know if you have had a pre-term birth you are supposed to be given progestrone shots? I had no idea! Never heard any mention of it from my now former doctor. I can't believe that. Also, with my first son, who only weighed 4 pounds at birth, I tore up high. This baby is measuring even larger, and my doctor was still on the fence about whether or not to do a vaginal delivery vs. a c-section. Maybe it's just my hormones talking, but she wanted me to only carry to 36..so at four weeks out, shouldn't you know how I 'm delivering?

Has this happened to anyone else? Has anyone else ever had to switch their doctor?

by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Racheldp20
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Only carry to 36??? In my opinion, doctor's should be shooting for at LEAST 37 and hoping for 39 weeks. I don't like the sound of your doctor - magnesium, not discussing your condition with you, encouraging early delivery and c-section cuz of a big baby (pretty much NEVER a good reason for a c-section. Unless you have a serious pelvic condition your body is capable of pushing out a baby regardless of size). You should switch doctors, this one does not sound healthy or willing to put her patients before her schedule.

butterbean491
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:59 PM
I completely understand your concerns. My first pregnancy was a little crazy. My Dr. decided to deliver at 37 weeks because of my blood pressure. I had 4th degree tears, and my son was in NICU for a week. I don't blame the Dr. If it wasn't for him my son wouldn't be here. This pregnancy has been very different. Much easier! I'm currently 30 weeks, so I'm wondering if I'm going to go full term this time. I'm also worried about delivery, don't want to tear again. Even though I have some concerns, there is something about my Dr that I have never seen in another Dr. I truly trust that he will do whatever is best for me and baby no matter what.
bananacreamp598
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:59 PM

I did today.  36 weeks isn't even full term. And the fact that I was supposed to be having shots to this point to prevent pre-term labor and haven't raised a major red flag to me.

Quoting Racheldp20:

Only carry to 36??? In my opinion, doctor's should be shooting for at LEAST 37 and hoping for 39 weeks. I don't like the sound of your doctor - magnesium, not discussing your condition with you, encouraging early delivery and c-section cuz of a big baby (pretty much NEVER a good reason for a c-section. Unless you have a serious pelvic condition your body is capable of pushing out a baby regardless of size). You should switch doctors, this one does not sound healthy or willing to put her patients before her schedule.

kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:00 PM
Find a new provider asap!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Vcoskey
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:02 PM
If confidence is lost in a provider - get a new one ASAP - regardless of reason!
Racheldp20
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:04 PM

I seriously don't get that. Your baby would almost certainly end up in the NICU for a bit at 36 weeks...? If labor happens and there's no stopping it that's one thing, but wow, it scares me that we have doctors talking like this. 

Quoting bananacreamp598:

I did today.  36 weeks isn't even full term. And the fact that I was supposed to be having shots to this point to prevent pre-term labor and haven't raised a major red flag to me.

Quoting Racheldp20:

bananacreamp598
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:11 PM

And I've already had one baby in the NICU. I don't want another to end up there.

Quoting Racheldp20:

I seriously don't get that. Your baby would almost certainly end up in the NICU for a bit at 36 weeks...? If labor happens and there's no stopping it that's one thing, but wow, it scares me that we have doctors talking like this. 

Quoting bananacreamp598:

Quoting Racheldp20:

livingrlovesong
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:08 PM
Find a new doctor ASAP. You don't necessarily have to be given shots if you've had a previous pre term birth. It depends on the circumstances of why baby was born early. But I would not agree to a 36 week delivery. My son was born at 36 weeks and was on the verge of going to the NICU because he wasnt keeping his body temp or blood sugar up. Thankfully he came out of it and didn't have to go. Good luck mama :/
Corina1987
by Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:16 PM
This situation sounds similar to what happened to me. My gyn never mentioned that my blood pressure was getting too high or even seemed to notice until my mom asked her what it was since she and my sis had pre eclampsia. After the Dr noticed she had me come in more often and cut out certain foods. Soon after that at 35 weeks my water broke. The only thing I had to take were antibiotics on iv during labor. I gave birth naturally to a 5lb 12 oz baby march 3. He was healthy luckily. After a few days he developed jaundice and lost too much weight so had to stay extra day under lights and supplement a bottle for a short time. He has been doing great after that.I delivered in a different hospital than mine since my water broke while I was visiting a friend who worked in a hospital lol. I won't be going back to my old gyn since I like this different hospital better. I dont know what precautions they would take for my next pregnancy. My cervix began to soften at 28 weeks but wasn't opening. I didn't need a cerclage so I wouldn't ask for it in the future. I would bring up my history and ask that my cervix and blood pressure be monitered very close next time.I never heard of taking progesterone as a precaution unless the woman had a miscarriage. I don't think I would take it until I found a lot of info about the benefits and risks. I heard that once you have a pre term baby,you usually always will. It's not hard to switch doctors. You can shop around at any point of the pregnancy. Keep us updated and good luck!
Devious103102
by Ruby Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:47 PM

1-I had a very similar experience with DD3 (pre-e that went ignored but I ended up delivering only 5 days before my due date) and yes, magnisum SUCKS!

2-you don't HAVE to have prog if you've had a pre-term birth, that's totally up to your doc and I've never heard of that before. 

3-just because you tore up last time and the baby is measuring bigger this time, doesn't mean that you'll have the same experience this time or that the baby WILL be bigger (my girls all measured at least 2lbs bigger than they actually were).

4-Do you have BP issues again this time? If not then there's no reason for you to deliver early. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)