Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

What baby crap do I REALLY need? UPDATE

Posted by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 9:59 PM
  • 56 Replies

This is my second child, due in OCT and it's been SOOOO long. My son is 8! He'll be 9 by the time the baby is born and all the baby stuff I have is a bib, a bopy and a teething ring. We are SERIOUSLY in financial red right now. Between paying for doc co-pays, my hubsband getting a big fine for having no insurance (because we can't afford gas, insurance and the 2 car payments on the stupid thing), student loan debt garnishment and all the normal moth to month bills of food, rent, eletric, gas, water, phone and needing to keep tp in the house we have NO money. (Hubby already works 2 jobs 75+ h a week)

I need to whittle down baby stuff to the bare esentials. I know we will need clothing and cloth diapers will save us money in the long run. 

Oh we'll need a car seat. 

What other crap do I actually need? I can't remember. Don't get me wrong I was so surprised and delighted to find out we're going to have a baby. It's just since there is no holiday clusters in the summer like in winter we always have less money in the summer. 

Food I know how to make money stretch (#1 don't eat meat more than a couple times a month). I know how to save money by making homemade cleaners. I know how to, ew yuck I hate when it comes to this, use rags and wash them instead of TP to save. I know how to find free food in the yard, dandelion salad anyone? 

I could sew my husband's old clothes into clothes for my son except that by the time my husband stops wearing them the material is so worn they are only fit for rags. 

I can have the baby sleep with me until it's crawling but then I really need to contain it for safety sake. Baby crawls out of bed in middle of night and drowns in towlet prevention.

Toys, I am sure my son have 1 oe 2 things that a baby can play with.

Hmm I can put baby in a drawer from the dresser on my bed so I don't squish it. 

Shampoo, well there's bound to be a cheap recipe online somewhere. 

I plan on nursing. 

What am I forgeting?

Diapers, I can make some of those from stuff around the house. Even if I kept baby naked at home when we go out I'd need something. 

I made a onsie last night. I don't know yet if its a boy or girl. In my state inorder to get an ID I need a birth certificate or green card or pass port or other such thing I don't have. I looked into getting a copy of my birth certificate a few years ago and because I can't just pop halfway across the country they will charge an arm and a leg to mail it to me. I have 2 car payments and ONE car. My husband works two jobs that are each 20 miles apart so having a car allows him to work more hours. Otherwise he would have to quite one because busses don't run at midnight when he gets off one job and has to go to the other.

My grandma told me yesterday she is sending a box of stuff for the baby. That should help. We have insurance. Someone suggested 10 onsies so today after I get done preserving straberries and cabbage I'll get back to sewing and work on somemore. 

The masjid (mosque) here has lent us money to get our car fixed and other emergincies in the past so I am loath to ask for more. I have hands and I have thread and a machine so I can make clothes. I think the only thing I REALLY need to buy is a car seat which I am going to ask my mom if there's anyway she could make that her gift to the baby. 

We have a celibration of the birth of a baby after it's born so then I can imagine people will bring a few gifts. 

I really do apriciate all the encouragement thats been given. I kind of stressed out when my husband came to me and said we have 8 rolls of TP left and we both knew we can't afford more anytime soon. Turns out dispite terrible morning sickness I did manage to stock up as normal the man was just goofy blind. lol. (We are good another 3 or 4 months.)

It will be ok. The kid wont end up naked and cold. 

by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 9:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tinka_pixie
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 10:14 PM
1 mom liked this

with my last pregnancy and with this one, everything was given to me. there are so many free places out there, or you can just use freecycle, and the free section of craigslist. or use the wanted section of craigslist. try it like craigslist joe did for all his needs. I was amazed. so far the only thing I bought (because I wanted a new one) has been the pack n play.

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers
ashiebearrr
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 10:24 PM
Have you heard of WIC?? I'm not really sure what all they offer but my friend goes through WIC and she gets all kinds of free stuff for her baby until he turns 2 I believe. (: Good luck!
NoraDun
by Gold Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 10:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Nothing much, some clothes, and diapers. Baby can sleep with you, or you can get a crib or playpen, and you nurse. It really doesn't take any of the fancy stuff. I do recommend a ring sling or wrap so then you can carry baby around hands free when you have to get things done around the house.

HAHA the dresser comment I am sure is gonna get some bashing replies BUT my mother used to always lay us in dresser drawers to sleep when we were baby's HAHA. And when I kept my Hubby's counsin's baby from the time he was a week old until he was a year he slept the first 2 months in a close basket. I was 17 and wasn't prepared to take care of her child, but I did and I used what I had to keep him happy and safe. Obviously now days (and in the country we live in) that would be child abuse LOL But it did make me chuckle bringing back memories!

NoraDun
by Gold Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Do you have a pregnancy center around you? Our pregnancy centers are all christian based. Essentially they are safe houses for women who feel they have no choice but to abort because they can't care for their child. But they help all kinds of people. I volunteered there a few times and was chatting with the lady and she said you know anyone is welcome to use our resources. I asked what she meant and she said the next time I got pregnant I could come in. They would give me a free u/s, and information on a bunch of classes, birthing/pregnany/baby/nursing, etc. If I attended atleast one class I would of access to their mother baby stuff. Basically what they do is give you mommy points to shop in their story, they also give you a baby shower at the end of your pregnancy where they give you tons of stuff including a crib. And then once you deliver and baby outgrows the clothing you can bring it in and trade it for the next size up. Its a great program, and it has nothing to do with income. Its just open doors for anyone interested!!!

I wanted so badly to do it last pregnancy, just because I thought how neat it would be to go in and trade my NB clothes (that I purchased) for the next size up, giving the NB sizes to the next person that needed it. BUt I just never went :( And we are moving even farther away so its kinda pointless to do it this time. But I do love volunteering with them. They are absolutely amazing people, and they do awesome suff!

Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:03 PM
A place for baby to sleep, some clothes and diapers is all you need the first 3 months.

Go to your local health department and ask about wic. They provide you with food for you and baby until baby is 5. They go based on your family income and size. They also offer classes and you can get a pump from them if needed. You can also get formula if breast feeding doesn't work out. Shop secondhand stores for clothes. Look for a consignment store where you can buy stuff, use it and then donate it back for store credit for new stuff.
MandaMommyof2
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds just like the one here except they don't do baby showers. Would have been neat cause I didn't get one. But the place has been a blessing I've gotten so much stuff with my mommy points I take two different classes and have learned so much more than I knew before

Quoting NoraDun:

Do you have a pregnancy center around you? Our pregnancy centers are all christian based. Essentially they are safe houses for women who feel they have no choice but to abort because they can't care for their child. But they help all kinds of people. I volunteered there a few times and was chatting with the lady and she said you know anyone is welcome to use our resources. I asked what she meant and she said the next time I got pregnant I could come in. They would give me a free u/s, and information on a bunch of classes, birthing/pregnany/baby/nursing, etc. If I attended atleast one class I would of access to their mother baby stuff. Basically what they do is give you mommy points to shop in their story, they also give you a baby shower at the end of your pregnancy where they give you tons of stuff including a crib. And then once you deliver and baby outgrows the clothing you can bring it in and trade it for the next size up. Its a great program, and it has nothing to do with income. Its just open doors for anyone interested!!!

I wanted so badly to do it last pregnancy, just because I thought how neat it would be to go in and trade my NB clothes (that I purchased) for the next size up, giving the NB sizes to the next person that needed it. BUt I just never went :( And we are moving even farther away so its kinda pointless to do it this time. But I do love volunteering with them. They are absolutely amazing people, and they do awesome suff!

MommyRJ
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:09 PM
Go get wic.
Ask them for other resources to help you.
I donate stuff to my local wic/church all the time.
Churches sometimes have stuff for babies too. Ask around.
NoraDun
by Gold Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:14 PM

This is true to, I know our church donates to the pregnancy center because people feel more comfortable going to them then coming to a church and asking for stuff. But if you are ok at approaching a church many of them will get together stuff for you, and will even throw you a big baby shower. I know ours will anyway! Great idea!

Quoting MommyRJ:

Go get wic.

ummcarter
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:25 PM

I suppose if I got depserate enough but we are Muslim and maybe it's because I'm origanally from the Bible belt but I'm a little leery of going to a church.  I can't afford to get a new copy of my birth certificate or state ID so I can't get WIC. They recive federal funding so they need ID on people.  (I understand this but think if I could afford to get ID I wouldn't need WIC lol)

Quoting NoraDun:

This is true to, I know our church donates to the pregnancy center because people feel more comfortable going to them then coming to a church and asking for stuff. But if you are ok at approaching a church many of them will get together stuff for you, and will even throw you a big baby shower. I know ours will anyway! Great idea!

Quoting MommyRJ:

Go get wic.

legobaby
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:33 PM
1 mom liked this
1. Breasts
2. Safe place for baby to sleep
3. Diapers
4. Clothes
5. Swaddling blankets if you can afford to get a couple
6. Car seat
7. Thermometer and baby Tylenol

That would be my basic list
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)