Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Breast pumps

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:41 AM
  • 16 Replies

I called my insurance provider yesterday and found out they cover the cost of a breast pump at 100% up to $200. After that I have to pay. All pumps must be bought from a medical supply store, but I can choose which pump I want so long as I wait until 1 month before baby is due. Well $200 is a significant amount of money off the cost of a pump, so I'm going to do it, now the question is, which one to get. I've been reading a lot of reviews and I think I want the avent double electric over the medela double electric, but wanted to hear your opinions if you have used a pump in the past. Which one worked best for you and why? My breasts were pretty big prior to pregnancy, and obviously have gotten bigger so ill need something that I can fit into as well. Any comments/suggestions/recommendations/opinions on pumps?
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
YzmaRocks
by Gold Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:48 AM
Have you asked this in the BF group? I don't pump so I have no idea but I know many women in the BF pump for work and would be able to answer your question :)
MsGrayciesMommy
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:51 AM
Mine also covers all of the cost thru a medical supply. But when I called the medical supply places, they all said they had to start putting people on waiting lists because they are soooo backed up from people's insurances now covering them. I was put on the waiting list in February and still haven't gotten a call! Hopefully I will by July when I'm due, otherwise I'll stick tobthe hand pump they give me in the hospital.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brittany208
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:23 AM

how often do you plan on pumping? If you are going to be home and pumping very rarely, you would be fine with a hand pump. If you will be home, pumping somewhat frequently, then a single electric would do the trick. If you are going back to work, then probably a double pump.

With my first I worked 2 nights a week after baby was 6mo and pumped occasionally for when we would be out and about. a single medela pump was plenty for me. (and i did like it and would recommend)

la_bella_vita
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 12:48 PM

I have the medela double electric and one could purely yours I think it's ameda or medela I can't remember. Anyways, I'm very happy with my breast bump.

meam4444
by Emerald Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 12:48 PM

I always used the brand Medela, and I have been happy with it.

FarmMom383
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 2:33 PM

my hospital provides me with my own because of my insurance.  i dont remember which one it was but my sister used the same hospital and has same insurance it is over 300$ but i have to wait till 4 weeks after birth, but it will be so worth it!!

MomTimSaria
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 7:34 PM

I have the Medela Advanced and it is the best pump ever.  This is extremely fast and you pump for 15-20 minutes and you have several ounces.  I love it.  Get this one if you can.  My insurance covered the cost 100% so I upgraded from the Pump-N-Style by Medela to the Medela Advanced.

Debnew1000
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 7:38 PM
I'll be going back to work full time when she's 3 month old. People keep telling me to get the medela, but I'm worried about how many people have said that milk gets into the tubing and mold grows in the motor.

Quoting brittany208:

how often do you plan on pumping? If you are going to be home and pumping very rarely, you would be fine with a hand pump. If you will be home, pumping somewhat frequently, then a single electric would do the trick. If you are going back to work, then probably a double pump.

With my first I worked 2 nights a week after baby was 6mo and pumped occasionally for when we would be out and about. a single medela pump was plenty for me. (and i did like it and would recommend)

Lovin_mybaby5
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 7:40 PM

what insurance do you have so I can see if mine cover it too

Debnew1000
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 7:54 PM
Humana. Supposedly a law was passed that says as if this July all insurance providers have to cover the cost of a pump so it's worth looking in to.

Quoting Lovin_mybaby5:

what insurance do you have so I can see if mine cover it too

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN