Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Advice Needed: I miscarried at seven weeks 5 days on the 23rd...

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 9:55 AM
  • 24 Replies

I miscarried at seven weeks,5 days on the 23rd of this month.doctor did a d&c on me that same day. I have a follow up appt. This coming Tuesday. I'm scared that he is going to tell me it's my fault bc I smoked while I was pregnant. All they said was smoking caused low birth weight.i didn't know that it could cause miscarriage until after it happened. i want to try again but im so scared that it will happen again and i already have a hard time concieving . this pregnancy was an unexpected surprise.

by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 9:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Apr. 27, 2013 at 9:57 AM
1 mom liked this

A doctor will tell you things that could have caused it, but there's no way to know for sure. They think most miscarriages are because the baby has a genetic abnormality that wouldn't survive outside the womb. 

I am curious though.. why did he do a d&c the same day? How many times was your miscarriage confirmed before doing it?

Jen4boys06
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:01 AM
2 moms liked this

So sorry hun :(  I wouldn't worry about what caused it.  Most m/c are because of genetic reasons or hormones.  That being said, you really should quit smoking if you're planning on getting pregnant again.  Smoking can cause alot more problems than low birth weight.  Because of all the chemicals and carcinogens, it can effect development of the baby.  I used to smoke so I totally understand! Its amazing how much better you feel once you quit.  It'll be 7 years on Oct. that I've been cigarette free. Best of luck to you!

NDADanceMom
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 12:17 PM
If that thought didn't get you to quit smoking that day what would?
bebe_ju-rah
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 12:29 PM
At that gestation it most likely was the result of a chromosomal abnormality. Your dr won't place blame, its not their place. I'm sorry for your loss, momma.
Lovin_mybaby5
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 1:39 PM
1 mom liked this

agreed I found out I was pregnant and that day I quit its been 4 years since I had my last smoke

Quoting NDADanceMom:

If that thought didn't get you to quit smoking that day what would?

SRUsarahSC
by Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 1:48 PM

You were not far along enough for anyone to be able to tell the cause. That being said, there is NO POSITIVE EFFECTS on you, or any potential children you may have, from smoking.  Why would you be TTC while still smoking?

FarmMom383
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 2:21 PM

dont blame yourself, yes smoking can cause miscarriages however that does NOT mean that it is your fault.  do not blame yourself, there are so many things that cause miscarriages,  i read that 80 percent of first time pregnancies end in m/c with no reason.

notjstanothrmom
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 2:24 PM
I'm sorry for your loss.

Miscarriages happen. I'm a non-smoker and have had 4.

Talk with yout doctor and I would suggest quitting before you get pregnant. I wouldn't knowingly try to get pregnant knowing I had a bad habit that is so detrimental to an unborn baby, it causes a lot more than low birth weight.
Alyssa1988-21
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 2:29 PM
I smoked with both of my pregnancies I have a happy healthy 3 year old and I'm 28 weeks pregnant. Miscarriages happen. If the doc tries too place blame (which he shouldn't) tell him too suck off some where.
.KFeatherable.
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 2:49 PM
My mom smoked while she was pregnant with me. I believe I was about 4 weeks early, but I was about 7lbs.
I haven't been through a miscarriage so I really don't have a place to day what te problem might have been.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)