Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Drinking?

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 12:28 PM
  • 17 Replies

I have never really been a drinker, I rarely ever drink at all, but since Christmas when everyone was having their glass of wine and I was sitting there pregnant, I have really been wanting a glass of wine (which I don't even like). Anyways I am now 37 weeks, and once I have this baby the first thing I am doing is getting that pretty blue moutain dew thing from taco bell (I have gestational diabetes, so I have been avoiding soda.) but second I want a glass of wine, but I am planning on breast feeding. I am really hoping the wine craving will pass, soon after baby is born but if it doesn't oh well. When should I have that first drink? I want to make sure that before I do I have enough milk stocked up for him to still get some, oh and what are some good Alcohol test strips for breast milk?

by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 12:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
la_bella_vita
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 12:45 PM

I rarely drink too and I started craving Margarita's my last pregnancy, lol. It was very odd.

I would suggest reading kellymom.com to find out how long to wait because I honestly don't know.

bear.katten
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 12:47 PM
1 mom liked this
You can have 2 glasses and still BF so you can have that glass whenever you want after baby is born :)
Heather2001
by Heather on Apr. 28, 2013 at 1:28 AM

I drink wine while nursing.  I'd just make sure to nurse baby first, preferably before a nap, then have the glass of wine.  By the time baby gets hungry again (and assuming it isn't a MONSTER glass of wine), the alcohol should pretty much be out of your system.  No need to pump and dump either.

livingrlovesong
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 1:41 AM
1 mom liked this
I have been craving wine since the beginning of my pregnancy. Dh brought home Italian bread and garlic butter the other day which made it worse. I ended up having a few small sips of wine. Which I have never done during pregnancy. But after that, Ive never wanted it again
HeathLaw22
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 8:28 AM

It wont be a monster glass, I actually don't really like wine very much, so after I have him I might not even want it anymore. Does this work for other alcohol like hard ciders?

Quoting Heather2001:

I drink wine while nursing.  I'd just make sure to nurse baby first, preferably before a nap, then have the glass of wine.  By the time baby gets hungry again (and assuming it isn't a MONSTER glass of wine), the alcohol should pretty much be out of your system.  No need to pump and dump either.

pinkfairy0206
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 8:33 AM
1 mom liked this
No advice I don't drink,and certainially wasn't concerned about when I could drink after I had my kids especially since I breastfed.
brittany208
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:12 AM

you CAN have a little wine when pregnant. I dont (I don't like wine anyways), but a few sips wont hurt anything, pregnant or breastfeeding.

I got test strips at Target. They sell them everywhere. and you dont have to pump and dump. your body metabolizes the alcohol out of your milk like it does out of your body. the strips just let you know when it is safe to nurse again if you drink too much

NoraDun
by Gold Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:20 AM

My midwife suggested a small glass of wine at the end of the pregnancy LOL, I dont do whine, but it wont hurt!

Emilytrademark
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:26 AM
1 mom liked this

You can drink while breastfeeding - just moderately. One glass of wine or one beer can actually help you produce milk :) and it's not anywhere near enough to harm the baby. I researched it obsessively when I had my DD since I love my wine. We had pink champagne when DD was born :) In general, if you want to drink, it's best to drink after you have fed which will allow 1-2 hours before your next feeding. Alcohol metabolizes out of breast milk at the same speed it does out of blood. Many women ascribe to the saying "If you're OK to drive, you're OK to breastfeed." 

BabyFruit Ticker
Emilytrademark
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:27 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm thinking of a glass of wine when I start labor. It sounds amazing

Quoting NoraDun:

My midwife suggested a small glass of wine at the end of the pregnancy LOL, I dont do whine, but it wont hurt!

BabyFruit Ticker
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)