Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

40+1... Question - advice and opinions please?

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 7:34 AM
  • 8 Replies

I'm 40+1 and this is my first baby. SO and I are INCREDIBLY eager. We can't wait to hold DD and see who she is and what she looks like. Add to that I am in CONSTANT pain between my back, hips, ribs and belly. I haven't slept well at all this weekend and before this I wasn't sleeping great either.

I had an appointment on Wednesday this past week (I think I was at 39+5) and the practitioner said I was 1-2cm and 50%, and that I had lost my mucus plug. I am a little concerned about this, are there resources I can look at about this? If the mucus plug is there to prevent infection, how long is it safe to go without it before it could be bad for the baby? I was also very concerned because this is the first time my practice has checked my cervix and I bled a significant amount for most of that day, so much so that I had to put a pad on. And since, I've noticed a considerable amount of discharge. It is clear and watery, but very consistent and quite a bit throughout the course of each day. She poked around up there quite a bit, could this be amniotic fluid leaking out? That COULD be bad for LO, couldn't it? 

SO and I have discussed, because of the eagerness and the discomfort, the possibility of being induced if my progress is further on Monday at our appointment. One of the practitioners at my office told me months ago that they don't push for induction but if the patient requests it they do it. But this past week, another practitioner told me they don't induce unless the patient is 42 weeks or there are complications. Now I'm concerned that if we do decide we want to try to push things along, our practice won't go along with it! So many questions and concerns... 

by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 7:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 7:53 AM
If you think it night be amniotic fluid you can use pH strips (like for a fish tank) to test it and know right away if it is amnio fluid or not. If so, your water broke, you'll be a mommy today!
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 7:58 AM
1 mom liked this
BTW, I should add that losing your mucus plug is not a problem, but if your water is broke you need to go to l&d because that is when an infection can occur and they want you to have the baby within 24 hrs.
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 8:26 AM
Some people lose their mucus plug a couple of weeks before delivery, it just means you've started to dilate which you knew already. First time mothers tend to go about eight days past forty weeks naturally so you're not even really due yet. You are making great progress, even with my second I never dilated past a dimple until labor started.

Those last few days do suck but try and be patient. After changing the hundredth diaper at 3am you'll be wondering why you were so eager to get her out ;-)
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Due dates aren't accurate. The average for first time babies is actually 41 weeks and 3 days I think. Baby will come when s/he is ready, just be patient. It will be soon enough. Getting induced increases your chances of an epidural, which increases your chances of a C-section and makes you much more likely to have all kinds of other interventions you really dont need.

I dont even remember losing my mucous plug. It is fine to lose yours, baby is still in the sack of water to protect him/her.

I was 4cm dilated and dont remember how effaced for 2 weeks before baby came! not a big deal.

bleeding a significant amount may be a big deal though. I WOULD call your dr and ask about that!! a little bit is fine, but not enough to fill a pad.

discharge is normal. water leaking.... might mention that to your dr. they can test and see if it is fluid or just discharge. Some women say its fine to leak for awhile, others would say otherwise.

but anyways, do NOT push things along. just wait and be patient. baby will be here soon enough!

by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this

1-the mucus plug regenerates itself after (I want to say) 48hrs, if you haven't gone into labor (could be sooner, though, I don't remember the exact time frame) so there's no need to worry about that. 

2-Increased discharge is normal and some spotting/bleeding is normal after being checked, it just means your cervix and everything else got a bit irritated.  If it's amniotic fluid you'd notice because it'd leake out, pretty much, every time you moved. 

3-why are you so concerned with "pushing things along" when your body is obviously doing fine on it's own? I think your practice is great for not inducing till 42wks and I think ALL practices should be that way (with the exception of medical reasoning/complications). Let nature do what it's doing and don't rush things. 

by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 10:43 AM
I just want to say getting an epidural does not increase chances of a csection. And if you want to get induced then I would ask on Monday. When I was 39 weeks I was Induced I was 3cm before then and they just broke my water instead of pinto in and I had my baby 5 hours later with epidural and junky pushed10 minutes and had no tearing. That was my first baby. So go over your options what would happen if your induced and all that stuff. Also talk to them about your bleeding, done spotting is normal but not bleeding and your leaking too. Walking around and cleaning house do last minute shopping anything you can think of and that will help get labor started, I wouldn't recommend sex if you are still leaking and bleeding though. Good luck and know it will be very soon !
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 10:45 AM

I lost my mucus plug several weeks before I went into labor last time, and no harm there. I was told it can grow back, and not to worry about it. If you think you are leaking fluid though, you should call the dr. they can check.

by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 7:06 PM

UPDATE: I called my doctor and she asked me to meet her in L&D. We went yesterday, and my doctor never even came, I worked with the hospital's staff. Long story short, it's not amniotic fluid, which is good because my baby is safe but it's bad because it means no labor. I want things moving along because I am in a lot of pain, my baby is obviously very large and I am eager to have her in my arms instead of my abdomen. 

Today we had our 40 week appointment, and my practitioner set up a "game plan," if we haven't gone naturally beforehand, I am "scheduled" for induction on Friday. She also stripped my membranes to see if that could help move things forward a bit, and she said that put me about 3-4cm dilated so that's good news I guess. 

Thanks for your responses!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)