Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How long is TOO long to wait for first prenatal checkup?

Posted by   + Show Post
I'm 8 weeks pregnant with my first baby and haven't been able to schedule an appointment yet. DF works 6 days a week usually, but is currently out of town working (he does maintenance on cellular towers). He REALLY wants me to wait until he gets back and gets a day off before I go for my first prenatal checkup. We're not sure if that will be this coming week, or the week after. I've heard that most doctors won't even schedule you an appointment before 8 weeks anyways, and I've heard some drag it out to 11 weeks. I'm really wanting to go ASAP, but I want to respect DF's wished to be there when we first get to see/hear our child. How long is TOO long to wait?

I might add that I'm a healthy person, and haven't had any cause for worry yet.
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:09 AM
Replies (91-98):
delialayla
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 12:45 PM

I didnt even go to my first penatal app. till  i was 16 weeks and 5 days 

Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Apr. 29, 2013 at 12:48 PM

I didn't have an appointment until 15 weeks this time. No big deal.

Lovin_mybaby5
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 12:55 PM

i didnt go to my first appointment with my dd until I was 15 or 16 weeks and she is perfectly fine

MommyMarcoux
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Most doctors won't even consider seeing you until eight weeks. If you have a reason to believe you are a high risk, you should try to be seen around that time. If you are not having issues and have no history that would make the pregnancy high risk, waiting until 12 weeks or so before your first appointment is seen as safe and even fairly routine.

Rain2Rinse
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 7:02 AM
I think it really just depends. This time around I had my first appointment at about 3 weeks. During the first few weeks, I was at the office multiple times a week. Now, at 28 weeks, I go to the doctor if I feel like it. When I don't want to go, I stay home. My office is probably pretty sick of me. Lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ummcarter
by on May. 1, 2013 at 11:48 PM
Lol I figure it might be a bit late. Lol did you go in yet? Have pics? Lol im 15 w 1 d and don't plan on going back in until the big 20 weeks. None the less every tuesday I scour the web for photos, sonogram and videos of fetuses at my week. Lol

Quoting ktcat217:

Where did you get 36 weeks from? lol. Haha, yeah. I mean, a big reason I want to go soon is because I want ultrasound pictures. That was how we were going to do the big reveal to our families. I'm almost just nervous as a first time mother and want to make sure I'm doing everything right :)

Quoting ummcarter:

I think 36 weeks is too long. Seriously there not much at all they do. You pee, they ask if you have questions. They listen to baby's heart beat and maybe, depending on the doc, they might do a transvaginal ultrasound aka put a long stick up you vagina and take a pic (lol) Thats it can be done in 10 min if you don't have questions. Waist of time if you ask me.

Go in between 18-22 weeks if you ask me. 

RaLeighsMommy11
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 11:50 PM
Your fine. I went with dd at 8 weeks & with ds at 11 weeks! I think they want you to come in around 8-12 weeks normally because If they do an ultrasound before 8 weeks you may not be able to see anything so they don't want women to freak out and 12 weeks is usually when you can hear the heartbeat on the Doppler
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lovemybaby551
by on May. 1, 2013 at 11:59 PM

I was nine weeks when I had my first appointment I didnt get to see/hear him she just gave me a pap exam and felt my breasts, had me go to the lab for blood work. I heard the heartbeat at the next appointment when I was 13 weeks. If you have any bleeding or cramping go to the ER but other than that just take you vitamins and you should be good :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured