Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

First time momma!

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 12:13 PM
  • 8 Replies
Hey ladies! I'm 14 weeks 3 days, with my first baby. I'm overwhelmed with having everything I need for baby ahead of time. I don't plan to buy too much before my shower, by advice from everyone I talk to. Now if I only I could get my mom to stop buying all the things people usually ready for before then! Lol

I know I've seen posts on here about baby essentials and different baby necessities. After flipping through 3 or 4 pages of posts, I couldn't find the one I saw before.

So, can y'all give me a little guidance in terms of amount of clothes per size group (estimate, of course, as babies grow differently).

Then any of the "extras" that you've found really beneficial to you!

I plan to breast feed, but not cloth diaper, if that helps! My baby will be an October baby, but we are in New Orleans and winters are very mild. Just some info on me :)

Thank you!
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 12:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
NDADanceMom
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 12:30 PM
2 moms liked this

Your baby will be small in the winter so long sleeved onesies and socks will be great.  Id have 3 sets per day for leaks and such.  How many you need depends on how often you can wash.

nicole2884
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 12:33 PM

babycenter.com has a great checklist for what you well need, however their numbers are high you dont need a ton of blankets

newborns can go through 13ish diapers a day, huggies are great for boys

a pack n play with a level option or a newborn sleeper is alot more useful an tends to be used longer than a bassinet, because once they roll over a bassinet isnt safe 

A nursing boppy is better then the original boppy

alot of insurance companies well pay for your breast pump if your doctor gives you a script for it, i know mine does an i just have to get the pump from a medical supply company

dr brown bottles are great for preventing gas an for acid reflex babies or those with colic

butt paste is great for stubborn rashes an good to try before consulting a doctor

awilliamson
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 12:42 PM
Thank you! I will definitely look at baby center for their checklist and adjust a little for their overage. And I plan to call my insurance tomorrow to find out about the breast pump.

Quoting nicole2884:

babycenter.com has a great checklist for what you well need, however their numbers are high you dont need a ton of blankets

newborns can go through 13ish diapers a day, huggies are great for boys

a pack n play with a level option or a newborn sleeper is alot more useful an tends to be used longer than a bassinet, because once they roll over a bassinet isnt safe 

A nursing boppy is better then the original boppy

alot of insurance companies well pay for your breast pump if your doctor gives you a script for it, i know mine does an i just have to get the pump from a medical supply company

dr brown bottles are great for preventing gas an for acid reflex babies or those with colic

butt paste is great for stubborn rashes an good to try before consulting a doctor

mammaci
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Get a bobby pillow! I had four nurses tell me too in the hospital after I had my daughter to help with breast feeding and we turn out using it for much more then that.  It was great for feeding and to help her learn to sit up when she got older.  I am bringing my bobby to l and d with me when I deliver this little one, but that is cause I have such a hard time breast feeding.  I did get it for my baby shower(which was a meet the baby shower, so was after she was born).  You might get one for your baby shower.

thundersky
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 6:54 PM
1 mom liked this
The ergo baby carrier has been such a life saver for me. I don't have to lugg that car seat around and have both hands free.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pacificamom
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 8:42 PM

I can't think off the top of my head but there are some great sites-google newborn essentials or something and I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for

awilliamson
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:09 PM
I've heard they're wonderful! My mom already bought me one, haha.

Quoting mammaci:

Get a bobby pillow! I had four nurses tell me too in the hospital after I had my daughter to help with breast feeding and we turn out using it for much more then that.  It was great for feeding and to help her learn to sit up when she got older.  I am bringing my bobby to l and d with me when I deliver this little one, but that is cause I have such a hard time breast feeding.  I did get it for my baby shower(which was a meet the baby shower, so was after she was born).  You might get one for your baby shower.

Bethbeth
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 12:40 AM

remember you don't have to have everything before baby is born. stores are still open after baby comes, ordering on amazon is amazing, and people will still bring gifts after baby comes. remember too, you don't know if you will birth a 5 pound or 10 pound baby, and you don't know if your baby will pack on lots of pounds the first few months, or put them on more slowly. I wouldn't buy clothes ahead of time. Wait to see what others give you, and then when baby is here and you see what you actually need, you can get a few things then. another way to save money is to buy some things ahead of time but keep the tags on, so you can take them back if you decide you don't need them after baby comes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured