Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Meconium in utero

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:51 PM
  • 18 Replies

Is it bad if a baby passes meconium while he's still in your belly? Does it mean he's in distress or that he needs to come out right away? (I know you obviously wouldnt even know until he already is out)

I was induced at 41 weeks with my first. Part of me feels like... 41 weeks is still early and so we should have been more patient. The other part of me worries that because he had already passed meconium that he really needed to come out when he did. (the meconium came out when they broke my water, which is the first thing they did after i was at the hospital, so it wasn't caused by a stressful labor or later interventions or anything)

I know dr is going to want to induce me between 41 and 42 weeks if baby doesnt come out on his own by then and I'm not sure how I feel  about it. On one hand, I am so patient and fine with waiting til he's ready. But the fact that my first had already passed meconium worries me.

by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lilmama8408
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:53 PM
From what I've been told its very very dangerous for baby to be in utero with it and can cause serious problems.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
doulala
by Emerald Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:54 PM

No, mec doesn't have to be a problem.    Something to keep an eye on of course.     Induction can create more complications, safest to save for a true need.

:-)
GL!

NoraDun
by Gold Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Prior to 40 wks its more common for baby to poop if its stressed. And it can be a good sign baby is stressed! Past 40 wks well He/She could just be tired of holding it LOL, I haven't heard of it being very common  unless its stress related, but I supposed later on in pregnancy it could be more common!  Induction itself can cause the baby to poop in utero because it adds a lot of stress to baby!

Quoting brittany208:

Is it bad if a baby passes meconium while he's still in your belly? Does it mean he's in distress or that he needs to come out right away? (I know you obviously wouldnt even know until he already is out)

I was induced at 41 weeks with my first. Part of me feels like... 41 weeks is still early and so we should have been more patient. The other part of me worries that because he had already passed meconium that he really needed to come out when he did. (the meconium came out when they broke my water, which is the first thing they did after i was at the hospital, so it wasn't caused by a stressful labor or later interventions or anything)

I know dr is going to want to induce me between 41 and 42 weeks if baby doesnt come out on his own by then and I'm not sure how I feel  about it. On one hand, I am so patient and fine with waiting til he's ready. But the fact that my first had already passed meconium worries me.

JadeTigr7
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:57 PM

I had my daughter 7 1/2 weeks ago, at 41 weeks and she had passed meconium.  I think the worry is if they gasp in the womb and try and breath (which happens when they are distressed) and inhale the meconium.  My water didn't break until I was crowning, so we weren't really worried about it.  I had her at home.  We just watched for signs of respiratory distress, but she was just fine. :)

~Crystal~

Homeschooling Mama to James, Jade, Steven, Willow and Katara
Wifey to Michael since 3-30-05

brittany208
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 10:30 PM

thats what I thought.... and I would have had no way of knowing if I hadn't been induced. I think I would have gone into labor within the next day or two anyways... but it makes me hesitant to tell the dr to be more patient this time, since turns out it was a good thing the first time.

no one freaked out though. they just told me to stop pushing as he was crowning and they didnt want him to cry immediately so they could get him suctioned out first so it didnt go in his lungs.

Quoting lilmama8408:

From what I've been told its very very dangerous for baby to be in utero with it and can cause serious problems.

Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Apr. 28, 2013 at 10:30 PM

Yes, it can be very serious and sometimes fatal if there is meconium in the water for too long. More often than not, though, baby is fine because they are born shortly after.

However.. being induced increases the odds of baby going into distress and/or pooping in the womb. 

brittany208
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 10:32 PM

that's hilarious!

i know it wasnt stress from induction though. i showed up at hospital. they strapped a monitor on me for a short bit. then the first thing they did was break my water and thats when it came out. so he pooped BEFORE labor and pitocin... so as much as id LOVE to blame it on the pitocin i got later, i cant.  

Quoting NoraDun:

Prior to 40 wks its more common for baby to poop if its stressed. And it can be a good sign baby is stressed! Past 40 wks well He/She could just be tired of holding it LOL, I haven't heard of it being very common  unless its stress related, but I supposed later on in pregnancy it could be more common!  Induction itself can cause the baby to poop in utero because it adds a lot of stress to baby!

Quoting brittany208:

xredstarsx
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 10:32 PM
1 mom liked this
I went to 42 weeks 2 days and he had meconium but for him it wasn't a big deal. I know it can be though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brittany208
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 10:33 PM

mine was fine too. he passed it sometime before labor, and I labored for 11 hours after they broke my water. I just want to say "lets be patient and not induce me!!" but knowing that it was probably good baby was induced the first time.... I dont know if i can say that...

Quoting JadeTigr7:

I had my daughter 7 1/2 weeks ago, at 41 weeks and she had passed meconium.  I think the worry is if they gasp in the womb and try and breath (which happens when they are distressed) and inhale the meconium.  My water didn't break until I was crowning, so we weren't really worried about it.  I had her at home.  We just watched for signs of respiratory distress, but she was just fine. :)

brittany208
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 10:35 PM

baby pooped sometime BEFORE my water was broken. Water was broken to start labor. THEN pitocin and 11 hours of labor. so it happened before any stress from labor.

Quoting Pandapanda:

Yes, it can be very serious and sometimes fatal if there is meconium in the water for too long. More often than not, though, baby is fine because they are born shortly after.

However.. being induced increases the odds of baby going into distress and/or pooping in the womb. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)