Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Meal planning for after baby's arrival

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:59 AM
  • 25 Replies

A friend of mine is pregnant with her third baby. She's due in June and we were talking about meals for after baby arrives. I told her I'd like to provide a meal or two once the baby gets here. Afterall, with two little ones already and then a third one, she'll have her hands full.

She also mentioned that she plans on making a few meals ahead of time and freezing them. Things like lasagna, enchiladas, etc that freeze and reheat easily.

If you've already had a baby, did anyone make meals for you? Did you prepare meals ahead of time and freeze them?

Is providing a meal old fashioned? I don't hear many people who still do that and never had a meal provided for me but would have loved it. What do you think?

by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brittany208
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:38 AM

I did not have meals provided for me with my first. It is old fashioned, but in a completely awesome way. I would LOVE if people brought us over meals. Its such a nice guesture.

Because I'm not planning on anyone bringing food this time either, I'm freezing a couple casserole type things and buying some stouffers family sized dinners. Then I just have to pop something in the oven for awhile and dinner's ready! I'm sure we will order pizza too :)

CelestialSong
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:46 AM
1 mom liked this

Well, my in-laws made food for us but they were staying in our house so it was really the least they could do :/ I think it would be nice if someone brought us food after this next one! No one mentioned it or offered so I didn't bring it up with my first, but this time I'm thinking about making a rule that anyone who wants to come over to see the baby needs to pay an entry fee of food xD

Autumn19
by Ruby Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 11:16 AM

i dont freeze ahead.

Braydens..Mommy
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 11:21 AM
With my first, we just did take out for awhile. We will probably do the same this time around. I wouldn't be opposed to anyone dropping off a meal though :)
jellybeanjean
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 11:25 AM

my mom stayed with me for the first month with my first and cooked food for me. I also had some very nice relatives deliver food to me once a week for awhile after that (for a small fee). I will be doing that again with my next.

EvilAsh
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 11:26 AM

No one cooked for me or helped me with any of the kids. I'm not expecting help this time either. This is my 3rd too.

awilliamson
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 12:07 PM
My cousin had a baby last May and I cooked a week worth of dinners for her family. Or lunch, whatever she needed it for.

Chili freezes well. Any kind of soup, I made crawfish bisque. Muffins are a quick and easy breakfast, too.

Any way, I guess it's old fashioned, but she still thanks me and baby will be a year old next week!
Xanbuttsmom
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 12:13 PM
With my first people offered help but I refuses because I am in their words "Stubborn". This time I think I might need some help in the first couple weeks. I am hopefully going to get a crock pot and that will help a lot. I'm also gunna do like a pp said and get stouffers meals. If anything else my two best friends are just a phone call away and they will come whip something up for DF and ds if I'm absolutely too exhausted.
Mommabearbergh
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 12:16 PM
Dh's mom made a meal and my dad brought over Boston market food.bringing over food isn't old fashioned at all or at least I don't think so
Spring.Mom
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Sure it may be old fashioned but whats wrong with that! I think we all need to help each other out now and then. I think it would be really sweet of you to help your friend out. I'm sure she will love it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)