Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

C-section mama

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 6:06 PM
  • 14 Replies

Well, it looks like I'm going to be a c-section mama. Any advice from anyone who has had one before? No scare tactics, horror stories please. I'm not interested in hearing them.

by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 6:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brittany208
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Why are you having a C-section?

bananacreamp598
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 6:13 PM

For several medical reasons.

Larsbug
by Laura on Apr. 29, 2013 at 6:18 PM

I had 2 and I only need ibuprofen with both of them... the sooner you can get up and walk the better. Ask them for a spinal block as opposed to an epidural (I found it to be much easier). Ask me anything mama, you can PM if you like.

bebe_ju-rah
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 6:21 PM
I had 2. With the first they gave me morphine through an iv and I literally slept for 2 days! With the second I refused iv pain meds and only took the occasional motrin for the first 3-4 days. Honestly, the catheter is the worst part! Lol
KPJ
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 6:22 PM
I had a c-section with my first pregnancy and will get another one for this pregnancy... I just wish recovery was faster..so I could get to the gym right away lol...other than that..not sure what else to tell you...
Good luck with your c-section :)
bebe_ju-rah
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 6:22 PM
Oh...and take the stool softeners!!!!
stepconfused182
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 6:33 PM
I had one because of a breech baby. The actual surgery was a piece of cake. The recovery is a different story. I thought I was going to die from the pain the next 3 days. Pain meds helped tremendously and forcing myself to get up and move helped speed up the recovery. Eventually, you forget how bad the pain was and you survive! Just take it easy for a few weeks during the recovery period or it will take much longer for your body to repair itself. You will be fine. Good luck!!
bananacreamp598
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Quoting stepconfused182:

I had one because of a breech baby. The actual surgery was a piece of cake. The recovery is a different story. I thought I was going to die from the pain the next 3 days. Pain meds helped tremendously and forcing myself to get up and move helped speed up the recovery. Eventually, you forget how bad the pain was and you survive! Just take it easy for a few weeks during the recovery period or it will take much longer for your body to repair itself. You will be fine. Good luck!!

How soon after the surgery did you get to spend time with your baby?

goddiddlyumshis
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 6:44 PM
I had one with my second. hated every minute of it. but i was able to nurse dd 5 mins after i was out of the O.R i didn't handle recovery well- i literally couldn't walk for 2 days. and when i did i felt like dying. i swear they stitched the right side of my incision too tight, so moving certain ways made it feel like it was pulling. make sure you have underwear and pants to go up over the incision, youre not going to want anything rubbing against it- it hurts! i didn't need stool softeners, but everyone said to take them- so do that. i didn't take pain meds, i probably should have lol. but i'd have only taken motrin but i think percosets are a choice, too. not sure. i'm due with our 3rd in 8 days and hoping for my vbac. totally not wanting a csection.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stepconfused182
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 6:47 PM
My dh brought her over to me while they were stitching me up and I kissed her little face and then they took me to recovery for 20-30 mins and as soon as I got in my room, they brought her in to me and I nursed her. Really, it was just enough time for them to assess, bathe and measure her. It seemed very quick and the whole surgery took a half hour or less. As long as you don't have any adverse effects from the anesthesia, and baby is ok, you will see him/her right away.

Quoting bananacreamp598: 

Quoting stepconfused182:I had one because of a breech baby. The actual surgery was a piece of cake. The recovery is a different story. I thought I was going to die from the pain the next 3 days. Pain meds helped tremendously and forcing myself to get up and move helped speed up the recovery. Eventually, you forget how bad the pain was and you survive! Just take it easy for a few weeks during the recovery period or it will take much longer for your body to repair itself. You will be fine. Good luck!!

How soon after the surgery did you get to spend time with your baby?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)