Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

DH is being a typical guy... again...

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 12:26 PM
  • 26 Replies

So, I am expecting. My little boy is due May 14. So excited. We have yet to install the car seat, mainly because we own only one car- a 2 door. And if we install the base too soon, there wont be any room in the car for anyone/anything else. DH is tall, so he has to sit with the driver seat all the way back and leaned back as well.

I made plans to go to the fire department after my 38 week appointment on Friday, to have the car seat installed correctly. DH is coming- doc wanted him at the appointment, so at least the car seat tech can show both of us how to install it correctly. And DH is fuming. How can I make plans like that without informing him? There is nothing to installing a car seat- it is so freaking easy, anyone can do it. How hard can it be to use a car seat? You put baby in, buckle, and you are good to go. So the base rocks a bit. It doesnt matter. It will still do the job. Oh car seats dont expire! That is stupid! Oh you have to throw a car seat away after it has been in an accident? They are just trying to get more money from you. Kids dont need a booster- once they are in school, they are just fine in a regular seat. ETC. And my BIL isnt helping things. He keeps egging things on with his little comments like "my neices and nephews were fine in a used car seat. Nothing happened. Why throw away a perfectly good car seat, even if it has been in a accident?"

Thank goodness I will be the one taking care of everything. I have tried to explain to him on multiple occasions about car seat safety. And of course he doesnt listen to me. He has been just fine in his life without wearing a seat belt- why should his son be any different? Gr. As if I dont worry about my son and what his life will be like, I have to worry about when he and his daddy are out and about, even if this is several years in the making.

Is anyone else's SO/DH being a typical guy about certain things? Or have they stepped forward and really made an effort to learn about safety and such?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 12:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Heather2001
by Heather on Apr. 30, 2013 at 12:29 PM

My husband isn't like that, but he's more of the paranoid variety.  He'd rather be safe than sorry.  And there's really no excuse for negligence.

H.Perales
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 12:32 PM

If my husband doesn't want to wear his seat belt, by all means I'll let him. He'll later regret it when he crashes through the window. 

But when it comes to my kid, his safety means everything to me. My daughter will be arriving in August and my husband makes sure everything is installed right. Your husband should consider his kids safety as well. 

Though he is being a typical male through this pregnancy and it's beyond irritating. Good luck girl, wish ya the best. 

LucyHarper
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 12:35 PM
3 moms liked this

Sorry to say this, but that's not being a typical guy, my husband and most fathers I know care very much about their childrens safety, my husband won't go anywhere unless he has checked and double checked their seats and the car doesn't move unless everyones wearing a seat belt, thats being ignorant and irresponsible. I honestly wouldn't trust my husband to bring our kids anywhere in the car if he had an attitude like that and I would let him know that. 

Rose12j
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 12:36 PM
We make sure we are all buckled before we leave.. My husband is the one making sure before he puts it in drive/reverse.. We have already had our first child he was supportive thru every process especially the safety part.. :) good luck.. Communication is key, maybe you should talk about it with him..
Devious103102
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 12:47 PM

We don't do the car seat safety checks but, honestly, we have 4 children and have helped out with nieces/nephews (who are younger than ours) we know how to install car seats and use them properly.  As far as the used thing goes, we have used 2nd hand car seats, as long as they've not been in an accident and aren't expired (which I had to explain to him that carseats "expire"). 

Samantha.Stetka
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:06 PM

My boyfriend wants to install the carseat by himself. I told him that we should have the hospital check it over, just in case. They install for free. He refuses and wants to do it himself, so while I'm having my baby I'm going to have my parents check it over. LOL 

CafeMom Tickers
MMerrill
by Melissa on Apr. 30, 2013 at 5:59 PM

I don't think that's being a typical guy... My husband never says stuff like that.  I'm a mom so of course I'm really careful and concerned with every aspect of my son's health and safety but my husband is actually worse than me about it.

rebeccasmommy09
by Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 6:04 PM
My dh is the same way about car seats. Very frustrating. *hugs*
NDADanceMom
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 7:22 PM
I think my husband is a typical guy. He worries about his family and wants everything perfect. He reads and follows all the directions when it comes to the safety of all of us.
GoddessNDaRuff
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 7:40 PM
No my husband has way more sense than that. He isn't dumb when it comes to their safety.

The things he's a guy about are things some people in general don't get like washing all of babies clothes in a hypoallergenic (baby) detergent, why I want a grooming kit, why we have to go to a discharge class at the hospital (which I agree this is not our first and I don't feel like listening to a bunch of damn speeches about purple crying and shaken baby syndrome), or why the baby has to be in the carseat when leaving the ward, why can't he carry her in him arms until we actually get in the car.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN