Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Using a bottle with breast milk??

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:08 PM
  • 9 Replies

So I am thinking about breast feeding this baby, I didnt with my first for a few different reasons, and I want to give it a shot again this time.. But my question is, can I pump and use a bottle so I am not the only one getting up in the middle of the night to feed? I am pretty sure I read somewhere that you shouldnt do it until they are like 6 weeks old or something.. I feel like people do it from birth..

Any input??

Thanks!

by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
marissabrookee
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:10 PM

I pumped and breastfed, pumped for the middle of the night feedings so she would sleep longer because she rarely got enough from just my boob lol

Mittenmommie
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:11 PM

good to know.. I am hoping this time works better than last time

Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Yes you can pump and bottle feed your breast milk. It's going to be very hard to start pumping at the beginning. And skipping feedings at night is likely to make your supply drop. It really is easier to just co sleep or bed share and wake up to nurse than it is to pump and bottle feed at night. 

lifeforchrist
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:14 PM

it doesn't work quite like that. You will still have to be getting up every 3 hours to pump at night for the missed feeding. It's easier to use a side carrier and sleep as baby nurses and then set them back in.

NoraDun
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:32 PM

I have heard of plenty of women who do. My children always refused bottles. The few times I left them for an 1-2 hrs to go horseback riding and they would actually wait for me to get him to nurse refusing the bottle from Hubby! So I never worried about it. Pumping is to much work for me anyway, when I have an easy open tap!

KRE1234
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:35 PM

of course! Do what works best for your family.  Talk with a lactation consultant to set a schedule for pumping if thats what you plan on doing. 

brittany208
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:00 PM

you absolutely can! I wait til 6 weeks or so, just so that breastfeeding is well established first. I personally dont want to run the risk that baby would prefer bottle to breast and ONLY want milk from a bottle. not sure how common it is, but i never found it a problem to wait a few weeks juuuuuuust in case.

bad_mama2011
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:06 PM

You should wait until breast feeding is well established before introducing a bottle, but I'm not sure how long that takes, I think it depends on mom and baby.

MMerrill
by Melissa on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:47 PM

You can, but exclusively pumping is so time consuming and sometimes just flat out hard.  Unless you are planning to pump just enough for night feedings, that would be easier than exclusively pumping!  Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN