Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Hi I have a question reguarding a home birth

Posted by on May. 1, 2013 at 12:30 AM
  • 11 Replies

I always have complications with my pregnancies except one. My oldest I had pre eclampsia, my dd there was no complications and my youngest had IUGR which resulted in me getting a C section. I want to do a drug free home birth. Is that possible with my history? I know I am crazy but I would trust a midwife to send me to the hosital if any complications happened.

by on May. 1, 2013 at 12:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on May. 1, 2013 at 1:57 AM

It just depends on whether or not you can find a midwife who will take you. Luckily those problems are the kind that you can spot ahead of time and not ones that pop up during birth. Just ask around and see what happens. Good luck!

kmqw229
by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2013 at 3:56 PM
Can you ask your midwife what she thinks?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pacificamom
by on May. 1, 2013 at 4:04 PM

I hope someone will agree! I called around because I wanted one too and with premature babies and prior blood pressure issues, a center was willing to take me on for care. Then we found out it was twins and they canned me LOL

Quoting Mrs.Andrews:

It just depends on whether or not you can find a midwife who will take you. Luckily those problems are the kind that you can spot ahead of time and not ones that pop up during birth. Just ask around and see what happens. Good luck!

CafeMom Tickers
heartagram_girl
by on May. 1, 2013 at 4:15 PM

With your problems, it may not be possible. Most midwives and birthing centers wont take any kind of high risk patients. All I can say is call and interview them. And check your state laws. In Alabama, it is illegal for a midwife to attend a home birth- which is why I had to change my plans. I wanted a home birth as well, but not if I was going to be alone with no medical help.

CafeMom Tickers
Raeann11
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2013 at 5:08 PM
Only way to know is to talk to a midwife and find out.
Allinorder
by on May. 1, 2013 at 5:23 PM

I would rather just know. I want my last child birth to be the most memorable. I dont want to do conventional hospitals if I can help it.

Quoting pacificamom:

I hope someone will agree! I called around because I wanted one too and with premature babies and prior blood pressure issues, a center was willing to take me on for care. Then we found out it was twins and they canned me LOL

Quoting Mrs.Andrews:

MMerrill
by Melissa on May. 1, 2013 at 5:33 PM

A midwife will generally only do low-risk pregnancies at home, but it doesn't hurt to try.  Maybe you can still birth in the hospital but try and have a natural and stress free labor as possible, by using the tub, getting a doula, etc.

amberleh
by Member on May. 1, 2013 at 5:44 PM

My midwife, especially with you having preeclampsia previously, would not take you on because you will be considered high-risk. You MIGHT find one that would be willing to risk it, but you need to get a list of all the ones in your area and call them and ask. 

Allinorder
by on May. 1, 2013 at 6:31 PM

That is what I want. I know there is a chance for me being high risk again but I at least want to know. I never had anything bad happen during labor. After my oldest was born I hemmoraged but that was because a piece of a placenta was left inside.

Quoting MMerrill:

A midwife will generally only do low-risk pregnancies at home, but it doesn't hurt to try.  Maybe you can still birth in the hospital but try and have a natural and stress free labor as possible, by using the tub, getting a doula, etc.

CelestialSong
by on May. 1, 2013 at 8:02 PM

You'll never know until you ask. I'd look up midwives in your area and give them a call. And I don't think you're crazy to want a home birth! You've had a lot of issues and difficulties, I think it's pretty natural to be hoping for a good experience this time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN